Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Connecting Motherboard, I need help

Last response: in Motherboards
January 26, 2011 5:25:10 PM

Hi guys.
I connected 24 pin from PSU to motherboard.
And I just noticed that there is 8pin on my motherboard and 8 pin also from my PSU.
Do I need to connect these 8 pin besides 24 pin?

If so, why does motherboard use 2 ways of Power instead of combining them into one ?

I also want to clarify what are the things I need to connect to the motherboard.

So far, I got
Sata cable from SSD to motherboard (sata power to psu)
case fan to motherboard
CPU cooler fan to the motherboard
24 pin PSU to the motherboard
POWER, Reset, HDD LED, USB, HD sound (all came from case) to the motherboard.
Am I missing anything? (I still haven't gotten ODD, ram and GPU)

In the future, I know that I should connect 6 pin from PSU into GPU.

More about : connecting motherboard

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
January 26, 2011 5:36:56 PM

Yes, connect the 8-pin! it supplies power directly to the CPU. and the board will NOT boot without it.
January 26, 2011 5:58:19 PM

clarkjd said:
Yes, connect the 8-pin! it supplies power directly to the CPU. and the board will NOT boot without it.

Thank you so much. I thought CPU gets power thru motherboard but i guess that's not the same power that goes to the motherboard for motherboard only usage. :o 

Is there anything else that are important that I need to check before I boot it for the first time?
I read that power line doesn't have polarity (+/-) so I can just put it in any direction so I did that.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
January 26, 2011 6:01:37 PM

The 8-pin and 24-pin connectors should only fit one way...
January 26, 2011 6:02:47 PM

clarkjd said:
The 8-pin and 24-pin connectors should only fit one way...

I meant the other cable that comes from the front side of the case. I think it's called power SW or Aw or something like that :) 
a b V Motherboard
January 26, 2011 6:05:30 PM

You are right...Any cable labeled "switch" would not have a polarity.
January 26, 2011 6:09:30 PM

I got 1 more question. I don't know how to describe it but power switch, reset switch and there was HDD LED (i think?) all had 2 pin and I connected them to 9 pin. So basically I am using 6 pin out of 9 pin so far to connect those 3. I heard that 1 of the pin is useless (i wonder why) and I don't know why I am missing the other connector to the rest of the 2 pin. Is this something important too?
a b V Motherboard
January 26, 2011 6:26:00 PM

All case switches only need 2 wires. The HDD LED only needs 2 wires, so that is the 6 you are using. The only thing left on that header is probably the connection for the case speaker, again, 2 wires. Now we are up to 8 in use, plus the one that is useless, and we have the 9-pin header.

The Case speaker is important in that that is where the Beep codes you hear at boot up come from, NOT the audio out jacks at the back of the motherboard.
January 26, 2011 6:30:02 PM

clarkjd said:
All case switches only need 2 wires. The HDD LED only needs 2 wires, so that is the 6 you are using. The only thing left on that header is probably the connection for the case speaker, again, 2 wires. Now we are up to 8 in use, plus the one that is useless, and we have the 9-pin header.

The Case speaker is important in that that is where the Beep codes you hear at boot up come from, NOT the audio out jacks at the back of the motherboard.

is case speaker different from HD audio?
I connected HD audio into HD audio slot of motherboard and I thought that's the one for Beep sound (if not, what is HD audio?)

I don't think I saw case speaker with 2 wire(2pin) but I will check again.
a b V Motherboard
January 26, 2011 6:30:41 PM

Those are just pins for items you don't have. Your mobo manual will identify them.
a b V Motherboard
January 26, 2011 6:35:10 PM

joonkimdmd said:
is case speaker different from HD audio?
I connected HD audio into HD audio slot of motherboard and I thought that's the one for Beep sound (if not, what is HD audio?)

I don't think I saw case speaker with 2 wire(2pin) but I will check again.

Yes HD audio is different from case speaker. HD (High Definition) audio is basically another form of audio output, but DOES NOT give you any beep codes
January 26, 2011 6:45:58 PM

clarkjd said:
Yes HD audio is different from case speaker. HD (High Definition) audio is basically another form of audio output, but DOES NOT give you any beep codes

well...I just checked my case many times but there is no case speaker.
I use raven 02 by the way.

I checked manual of my case. It has installation guide for power sw, reset sw, and HDD LED but nothing is mentioned about the case speaker. hm...how wierd.
January 26, 2011 6:57:32 PM

clarkjd said:
Not really, most new cases now a days don't have case speakers in them, but motherboards still support them. Here is one from Newegg that will work:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I see, thank you so much for everything.

By the way, the link you showed me has 4 holes. Where am I supposed to plug that in?
I thought case speaker should also come with 2 wires (2 pin) just like power switch, reset switch, and HDD LED. (9-2-2-2-1 = only 2 pin available for case speaker instead of 4)
January 26, 2011 6:57:58 PM

Best answer selected by joonkimdmd.
a b V Motherboard
January 26, 2011 7:07:21 PM

joonkimdmd said:
I see, thank you so much for everything.

By the way, the link you showed me has 4 holes. Where am I supposed to plug that in?
I thought case speaker should also come with 2 wires (2 pin) just like power switch, reset switch, and HDD LED. (9-2-2-2-1 = only 2 pin available for case speaker instead of 4)

What motherboard do you have?
most Motherboard case speaker connections, while they only use 2 wires, they actually occupy 4 pin positions on the header. There are 2 empty pin positions between the two that are used
January 26, 2011 8:08:20 PM

clarkjd said:
What motherboard do you have?
most Motherboard case speaker connections, while they only use 2 wires, they actually occupy 4 pin positions on the header. There are 2 empty pin positions between the two that are used

I use gigabyte extreme 4 p67 motherboard.

I just googled and I think I know what you are saying now.

http://2009.hardwarezone.com/img/data/articles/2004/119...

You are saying that the 4 pins on the right side of the picture use the case speaker, correct?
My silverstone raven 02 case didn't come with that.

My question was, if you look at the left side of the picture, it has 9 pins.
2 = Power switch
2 = reset switch
2 = HDD LED
1 = useless
2 = ????

According to this site
http://2009.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?cid=19&i...
I think the 2 that I don't know their functions is actually used for power LED.
My case didn't come with power LED either. I don't know if this can be normal.
a b V Motherboard
January 26, 2011 9:17:26 PM

joonkimdmd said:
I use gigabyte extreme 4 p67 motherboard.

I just googled and I think I know what you are saying now.

http://2009.hardwarezone.com/img/data/articles/2004/119...

You are saying that the 4 pins on the right side of the picture use the case speaker, correct?
My silverstone raven 02 case didn't come with that.

My question was, if you look at the left side of the picture, it has 9 pins.
2 = Power switch
2 = reset switch
2 = HDD LED
1 = useless
2 = ????

According to this site
http://2009.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?cid=19&i...
I think the 2 that I don't know their functions is actually used for power LED.
My case didn't come with power LED either. I don't know if this can be normal.

Looking at the picture, the top row has 2 sets of 4 pins. and the bottom row has 1 set of 5 pins.
on the top row the leftmost 2 pins are for something called MSG. I am not sure what they are used for the next 2 pins in the top row are for the power switch. The other 4 pins in the top row are for the case speaker, it only uses the pins on the ends of that group of 4, and the 2 in the middle of that group have no connection.
the bottom row of 5 pins the 2 leftmost are for the HDD led, and the next 2 are for the reset switch. the last pin has no connection.

A lot of cases have fans with LEDs on them, so those cases really don't need a power on LED.(If the fans are lit, the PC is powered 'on'.)

Hope this helps! :D 
!