Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 on SSD or No?

Last response: in Storage
June 24, 2012 7:41:25 PM

I built my computer about a year ago and decided not to get a SSD, because it seemed that there were still issues being worked out with the technology. So, I decided to just stick with what I knew and I got 2 10,000 RPM velociraptors and stuck them in Raid 0. They've been working beautifully for me, but now it seems that they are a bit out dated.

I just purchased an OCZ Agility 3 60gb drive with the intention of installing Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead on it to play the Dayz mod. For those of you who aren't familiar, the map is huge and is constantly being called from the HDD. Well, I feel that an SSD will help boost my performance tremendously in this game and possibly Battlefield 3.

So my question is... should I just keep Windows 7 on my velociraptor raid 0 config and install my games on the SSD? Or should I do the opposite? Like I said, I think that Arma 2 will have great performance increases on the SSD. I could possibly install Windows 7 and Arma 2 on the SSD and not have room for anything else... but I'm not sure that it's worth the trouble.

Here are my system specs, in case that matters for some reason.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
MOBO: ASUS M4A89TD PRO USB3 890FX chipset
RAM: 12GB DDR3 1333mhz Gskill Ripjaw 9-9-9-24
Graphics cards: Crossfire HIS 6870s 1gb GDDR5
hDD: 2x WD Velociraptor 240gb raid 0
SSD: OCZ Agility 3 60Gb
External hdd: WD 1tb drive

thanks for any and all answers.

More about : windows ssd

a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
June 24, 2012 8:50:44 PM

I dont know how much info the games will save to a drive but putting it all (OS and Game) on a SSD would be the way to go... the OS at least.
m
l
!