Solved

HD 5850 and C2D E7400

Hi all,
I'm finally nearing the point where I'll have enough money to buy an HD 5850, but I just thought of something.
On my current build, I have a Core 2 Duo E7400. I overclocked it to 3.6 GHz so far and I haven't changed the voltage yet, so I might try to go for 4 GHz on air.
But, at the current speed, would this processor cause an excessive amount of bottle-necking with a 5850?

Thanks in advance.
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 5850 e7400
  1. Best answer
    I highly doubt that it will cause that much, I mean, 3.6 is fairly fast for a dual core.

Might want to look here and compare your cpu with other cpus and see what the fps difference would be with the same video card and settings

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/2 (This doesn't consider the overclock so you'll have to go with your gut on comparing performance, but it should still give you an idea)
  2. What kind of cooling do you use?
  3. Thanks for the quick response. I looked around on Anandtech and it looks like bottle-necking should be minimal. And if I don't get the speeds I want, I can just overclock it more! :bounce:

Thanks!
  4. Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme .
    It keeps my overclocked temps much lower than my stock cooler did. I figure I could probably push it to 4 GHz with it, but I'm holding off for now to see how this cooler does once it gets warmer where I live.
  5. Yeah that's probably a good idea. 4 GHz would give you a nice boost ;)
  6. Best answer selected by kornfan71.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards HD Graphics