"Hard Drive failure. Replace or Repair" What do I do?

XM Keeper

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
My parents computer gets an a type of error message stating something about how the hard drive is failing and that they should back up their data. When you press F2, Windows boots normally and runs fine. My parents are backing up most of their important data, but should they worry if it will fail? Is their a possibility that everything will be fine? And if their hard drive does die, do they just use the recovery disc that came with their computer and re-install windows? Please help me so I can help them.

XM Keeper

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
I just figured that it is still under warranty. I'm just afraid that recovery disc won't work because in my past, they haven't. The computer is a Compaq Presario QC5700F PC. This isn't the first time we have had a problem with a Compaq Presario too.

Ragnarok666

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
Ive been told again and again by people that if your hard drive starts to get flaky its best to just get a new one, its not worth risking any data not backed up, and its a pain when it does happen. You might be right, the hard drive isnt going to die and you can continue using it, but generally this is not correct, when an error comes up its because something inside went wrong, if you have it under warrenty great go and get it replaced as soon as possible. Better to be safe then sorry.