Dual boot set up question

Tags:
  • Asus
  • Dual Boot
  • Boot
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
January 26, 2011 10:36:04 PM

I installed 2 harddrives both with windows 7 installed in my Asus computer. If I plug them in seperatly they boot/run fine. With both drives plugged into the motheroard the BIOS shows only drive#1 and has only 3 options for boot device order Disc#1, CD/DVD, Removable. I cannnot select the second drive as a boot option. How can I easily choose which drive to boot from, and have the other invisible to the current operating system?

More about : dual boot set question

Best solution

January 27, 2011 12:49:06 AM

Hi philisher,
Does your motherboard support "bios boot selector"?

My old ASUS board has 3 hard drives connected, each with it's own OS (XP, Vista, Win7). When I boot or reset the computer I can press F8 to bring up a menu that allows me to select which hard drive to boot from. It also allows me to select the CD or a USB device for booting.

Pressing F8 needs to take place early in the boot cycle. Actually at the same time in the cycle when you would normally press ESC to enter the bios setup menu.

goodluck
smack
January 27, 2011 6:09:12 AM

philisher said:
I installed 2 harddrives both with windows 7 installed in my Asus computer. If I plug them in seperatly they boot/run fine. With both drives plugged into the motheroard the BIOS shows only drive#1 and has only 3 options for boot device order Disc#1, CD/DVD, Removable. I cannnot select the second drive as a boot option. How can I easily choose which drive to boot from, and have the other invisible to the current operating system?

I've found BootIt NG to be the best money I ever spent for multi-boot OS, and a ton of features to image, backup, format, etc.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/index.htm

m
l
Related resources
January 31, 2011 6:02:13 PM

smackdab said:
Hi philisher,
Does your motherboard support "bios boot selector"?

My old ASUS board has 3 hard drives connected, each with it's own OS (XP, Vista, Win7). When I boot or reset the computer I can press F8 to bring up a menu that allows me to select which hard drive to boot from. It also allows me to select the CD or a USB device for booting.

Pressing F8 needs to take place early in the boot cycle. Actually at the same time in the cycle when you would normally press ESC to enter the bios setup menu.

goodluck
smack

F8, That was the piece of information I needed! Everything works perfectly now!
m
l
February 7, 2011 2:25:46 PM

Best answer selected by Philisher.
m
l
!