Can't run System Restore

I moved my OS from a 20G HD to a 200G HD, and used the disk copy utility that
came with the new HD to copy my old system over to the new drive. It seemed
to go flawlessly.

But the next time I happened to try to go into Control Panel->System->System
Restore I get:

An exception occurred while trying to run C:\Windows\System32\shell32.dll,
Control_RunDLL "C:\windows\system32\sysdm.cpl", System"

Now at one point I thought I had found some info on the net to reset the
restore stuff and then it came up ok, but its back to doing this.

Any ideas ? thanks ...
1 answer Last reply
More about system restore

    Hi

    One or more of the System Restore files could have been corrupted - try
    turning SR off/on - but I'm afraid that you will lose any existing
    checkpoints:

    Right click My Computer, select Properties and then the System Restore tab.
    Enable 'Turn off System Restore on all drives' and reboot your PC. After
    that 1st reboot go back into SR and disable 'Turn off System Restore on all
    drives' and reboot your PC again. After that 2nd reboot you should have one
    new SR checkpoint.

    Failing that, you may have to reinstall System Restore.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "Jamie" <Jamie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I moved my OS from a 20G HD to a 200G HD, and used the disk copy utility
    >that
    > came with the new HD to copy my old system over to the new drive. It
    > seemed
    > to go flawlessly.
    >
    > But the next time I happened to try to go into Control
    > Panel->System->System
    > Restore I get:
    >
    > An exception occurred while trying to run C:\Windows\System32\shell32.dll,
    > Control_RunDLL "C:\windows\system32\sysdm.cpl", System"
    >
    > Now at one point I thought I had found some info on the net to reset the
    > restore stuff and then it came up ok, but its back to doing this.
    >
    > Any ideas ? thanks ...

Configuration HD System Restore Windows XP