jamie

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2002

I moved my OS from a 20G HD to a 200G HD, and used the disk copy utility that
came with the new HD to copy my old system over to the new drive. It seemed
to go flawlessly.

But the next time I happened to try to go into Control Panel->System->System
Restore I get:

An exception occurred while trying to run C:\Windows\System32\shell32.dll,
Control_RunDLL "C:\windows\system32\sysdm.cpl", System"

Now at one point I thought I had found some info on the net to reset the
restore stuff and then it came up ok, but its back to doing this.

Any ideas ? thanks ...

Hi

One or more of the System Restore files could have been corrupted - try
turning SR off/on - but I'm afraid that you will lose any existing
checkpoints:

Right click My Computer, select Properties and then the System Restore tab.
Enable 'Turn off System Restore on all drives' and reboot your PC. After
that 1st reboot go back into SR and disable 'Turn off System Restore on all
drives' and reboot your PC again. After that 2nd reboot you should have one
new SR checkpoint.

Failing that, you may have to reinstall System Restore.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User