Sign in with
Your question

K7S5A MOTHERBOARD WONT BOOT AT ANY BOOTING DEVICES

Last response: in Systems
May 11, 2010 1:52:22 AM

hello guys.
im a new here... hope i can find help here.. heres my problem i cannot boot my pc into any devices(hdd,usb,floppy,cdrom) after a POST screeen is done it shows a black blank screen and my keyboard hangs.. it works fine before not after i try to add a new hdd( i just try to do a upgrade) my bios wont detect it so i tot it was broken or something so bring back my old hdd(30gb) when i turn on my pc whola it wont boot just POST then black blank screen then nothing. i tot my hdd(30gb) got corrupted the MBR master boot record so i try to reformat and re install win xp using other pc. the whole process of re formatting and re installing win xp goes just fine i can also used that hard disk (30gb) in that pc. but when i put the hard disk 30 gb im my mobo its still cant boot:(  so i try other option and prepared a usb flash disk that can boot and install windows but it also failed to boot same problem after POST black blank screen and nothing else.. i can choose safemode option but it hangs while loading those safe parameters.. pls guys i badly needed a help here.. thanks in advance.

heres my system
k7s5a motherboard
2 512mb ddr samsung ram
128 mb nvidia AGP card
30 gb quantum hdd
thanks
patrick
May 11, 2010 7:11:54 AM

If you can select safe mode, what is the last file name to show before it hangs?
m
l
May 11, 2010 7:26:43 AM

I found a little information on this website:

http://ask-leo.com/my_computer_locks_up_and_wont_boot_w...

I found this within the website that might help you:

If your computer doesn't even get so far as to try the hard disk, or perhaps not even print anything on the screen, you probably do have some type of hardware problem. For example, if the computer simply beeps a few times and then does nothing, then that's the POST telling you something is wrong. For what ever reason it might not be able to display an error message, so it simply beeps in a pattern to tell you what it's found. They vary based on the brand of your computer or BIOS, but POST beep codes can often give a technician a quick idea of exactly what might be wrong.

If I was you I would un-plug everything from the motherboard except the power/power switch and CPU that is required to turn the motherboard on and listen for the beep codes then go to this website and work through each set of codes until you find the problem at hand: http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm
m
l
Related resources
May 11, 2010 8:12:51 AM

2112686,2,411355 said:
If you can select safe mode, what is the last file name to show before it hangs?[/quotemsg

as i see it it hangs within the file name "DEEP FREEZE" ??? what do you think is the problem?
m
l
May 11, 2010 8:16:49 AM

What is the full last line that shows before it hangs? The file path at the bottom of the screen?
m
l
May 11, 2010 8:21:20 AM

SHANEMARINES said:
I found a little information on this website:

http://ask-leo.com/my_computer_locks_up_and_wont_boot_w...

I found this within the website that might help you:

If your computer doesn't even get so far as to try the hard disk, or perhaps not even print anything on the screen, you probably do have some type of hardware problem. For example, if the computer simply beeps a few times and then does nothing, then that's the POST telling you something is wrong. For what ever reason it might not be able to display an error message, so it simply beeps in a pattern to tell you what it's found. They vary based on the brand of your computer or BIOS, but POST beep codes can often give a technician a quick idea of exactly what might be wrong.

If I was you I would un-plug everything from the motherboard except the power/power switch and CPU that is required to turn the motherboard on and listen for the beep codes then go to this website and work through each set of codes until you find the problem at hand: http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

thanks for the reply
uhm when i turn on my pc it gives me a one short beep before the POST screen after that no more beeps it just hang with a black blank screen.. im thinkin to re place my PSU? currently its a 250watts but im thinkin it works fine before using that PSU. just a guessed and do you think re installing xp in other pc is causing this??
thanks again
m
l
May 11, 2010 8:25:39 AM

lanceioan28 said:
thanks for the reply
uhm when i turn on my pc it gives me a one short beep before the POST screen after that no more beeps it just hang with a black blank screen.. im thinkin to re place my PSU? currently its a 250watts but im thinkin it works fine before using that PSU. just a guessed and do you think re installing xp in other pc is causing this??
thanks again

Your suppose to install the (OS) Operating System on the original hardware, but if you can't even get that far there is something seriously wrong.
m
l
May 11, 2010 8:48:53 AM

the reason why i re install the win xp in onother pc is i cant even boot to my cdrom or even in my usb wich i tested good in other pc so io bring my hard disk to my friends pc to re format ant to re install win xp. as i said the whole proces goes fine i can used that hard disk in my friends pc but when i put it in my own pc(which is failing) its not booting. haist!
m
l
May 11, 2010 8:49:40 AM

acer0169 said:
What is the full last line that shows before it hangs? The file path at the bottom of the screen?

i dont fully remembered it but is something like a " MULTI DISK blala blah bla deep freeze something" ill post later the exact line when i got home. thanks for the reply pal
m
l
May 11, 2010 9:28:56 AM

I found this information:

"Could be the power supply isn't good enough to get everything going. Cold
boots are the most demanding because all your hardware gets started up and
readied for use. K7S5A is very picky about lots of quality power. Also,
using 2 sticks of SDRAM can cause problems. Try using one stick or switch to
DDR. If he's using a generic 300W or less power supply, that's likely the
problem."

"I had this same problem today actually. But it was resolved fairly
quick. If you have any extra USB on your Motherboard, unplug them from
the motherboard. If they are plugged in wrong, it will halt on that
same spot."

"Another thing to try is to remove all the IDE cables and try to reboot.
If it now doesn't show the NVRAM problem , shut down and connect up each device , one at a time and try booting up after each one.
You may find that it now works with all devices or that one device (or its connector or cable) causes the problem.

Perhaps just try removing and reseating all IDE cable connections first."

Information found from:
http://www.motherboardpoint.com/k7s5a-boot-problem-t236...

All information was taken from above site posted^.

I also found this website with information on your problem:

http://www.geek.com/articles/chips/k7s5a-based-system-i...

I hope these help you out man, I know how it feels to have problems like this.

m
l
May 11, 2010 5:49:08 PM

Not sure if this will help, but the K7S5A was infamous for NOT booting if you set the HDD to master or slave when you had a single drive. I've built quite a few of these back in the day and it bit me almost every time. If you have a single HD, set it to Cable Select and see if that doesn't solve the issue. The board is old enough that it won't boot to external devices (USB sticks, etc...) so that won't be the issue.
m
l
May 12, 2010 12:18:23 AM

acer0169 said:
If you can select safe mode, what is the last file name to show before it hangs?

here is the exact files wheere it hangs when i choose safemode

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\deepFrz.sys

hope we can find somethin there.
thanks
m
l
May 12, 2010 11:43:29 AM

I keep seeing comments about this exact code and it says malware/trojans/virus. I'm sorry I can't find a exact solution for you. Still looking though.
m
l
May 13, 2010 6:07:44 PM

1. Start the computer with the Windows CD in your drive and boot to disc.

2. At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to select the system repair option.

3. Enter the Administrator password (if you have one).

4. In the recovery console go to the C:\Windows\System32\Drivers directory with the following command:

CD C:\Windows\System32\Drivers

5.Now rename DEEPFRZ.SYS to DEEPFRZ_SYS.old with the following command:

rename DEEPFRZ.SYS DEEPFRZ_SYS.old

6.Type Exit and press ENTER

7.Take the Windows disc out and reboot.

This should solve your problem :]
m
l
May 15, 2010 1:20:35 AM

acer0169 said:
1. Start the computer with the Windows CD in your drive and boot to disc.

2. At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to select the system repair option.

3. Enter the Administrator password (if you have one).

4. In the recovery console go to the C:\Windows\System32\Drivers directory with the following command:

CD C:\Windows\System32\Drivers

5.Now rename DEEPFRZ.SYS to DEEPFRZ_SYS.old with the following command:

rename DEEPFRZ.SYS DEEPFRZ_SYS.old

6.Type Exit and press ENTER

7.Take the Windows disc out and reboot.

This should solve your problem :]

ei thanks buddy i already solved my problem since like ive said before i cant boot from any of this devices(cdrom.usb,hdd) i borrowed my friends cd rom and his original xp cd then boom that make the trick.. i re install xp. and ofcourse im happy now.. thanks for all the suggestions and help realy appreciate it. guys chow =)
m
l
May 15, 2010 12:34:36 PM

Glad we could help you out!
m
l
!