Hi, my computer turned off recently while playing the starcraft II beta due to my gfx card overheating. My rig is:
Intel Core 2 DUO E8500 3.16GHz
Ram: 4.00GB DDR
Video: ATI Radeon HD 4870 x2
OS: Windows 7, 64bit
CCC says my gfx cpu idles at around 75 celcius and when strained can go above 100 (then shuts down).
I'm pretty sure my fans are fine, I ordered some thermal paste off newegg and hopefully that will do the trick. I have set the fan to always be 100% in hopes to stem off the heat. Is there anything else I can do to lower the temp?
I found it wierd that one cpu heat was 75 and the other is 58 (same card 2 cpu's)
If you actually find somewhere to buy that let me know . All the things they list have the hardware listed as "out of stock" I had previously checked out that site as the cooler seems to have been the best solution for alot of people though does not seem to be available any longer. I'm hoping there is still something out there :*(
1. cable clutter??? no way hes got like 4 inches if breathing room for the air intake???
2. the cards a p.o.s. it works for a little bit then problems occur, Ive searched for solutions for 2 yrs now.
3. maybe its the drivers
4. maybe its the PSU
8. a tornado fan actually worked pretty decently once modded but it was too loud to hear the game.
9. the xero cool cooler mod looks nice but does it actually work, and for how long? and how come you cant find it in stores online?and why doesnt anyone post about how great the 4870x2 is with the xero cooler?
10. 2 pc power and cooling 700 silencer psus burned out/died on this card.
11. currently having same problems with a corsair tx 750w psu with 4 = 8pin rails for graphics cards.
12. i may try to power the 6 pin connector on the graphics card from a 550w additional PSU by hard wiring
13. if that doesnt do it im gonna remove the copper blocks and the 2 back plates and hit the naked card with fans
14. if that doesnt work im gonna throw it in the trash and vow never to buy amd/ati ever again
15. steps #12 and #13 will be a huge waste of time and should probably be skipped.