Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can my motherboard connect to the internet?

Last response: in Motherboards
January 27, 2011 12:51:04 AM

I recently put a system together and then tried to connect to the internet via an Ethernet cable from my router to my new computer. It would not work and no internet connection was made. I disconnected the Ethernet cable and just plugged in a Wireless USB adapter instead. That works.

This makes me believe that my motherboard doesn't have an onboard wireless NIC to pick up wireless internet AND it can't connect to the internet via an Ethernet-router-modem connection.

Can you guys tell me what my mobo is capable of? Also, what do you recommend me to do as far as connecting to the internet? Should I just stick with the Wireless USB adapter or should I buy an NIC to place into my system?

My motherboard is MIS's P67A-GD53.

Thanks for your concern.
a c 229 V Motherboard
January 27, 2011 2:05:08 AM

Since you already have an Ethernet controller on the motherboard, you don't need a NIC. Do other computers using the same Ethernet cable connect to the Internet? Are there unknown devices in the system properties? If so, did you install the Ethernet controller drivers?
m
l
January 28, 2011 12:56:35 AM

GhislainG said:
Since you already have an Ethernet controller on the motherboard, you don't need a NIC. Do other computers using the same Ethernet cable connect to the Internet? Are there unknown devices in the system properties? If so, did you install the Ethernet controller drivers?

Yes, my old computer directly connected to the internet fine with the Ethernet cable to router setup.

I'm just a bit confused about what my MOBO can and cannot do. First, can the MSI P67A-GD53 catch WIFI signals and thus connect to the internet without using a WIFI USB adapter? Second, can it connect to the internet using a router setup? I'd really appreciate it if you could check out my MOBO's specs and tell me that.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 229 V Motherboard
January 28, 2011 1:15:02 AM

Quote:
First, can the MSI P67A-GD53 catch WIFI signals and thus connect to the internet without using a WIFI USB adapter?
No.
Quote:
Second, can it connect to the internet using a router setup?
Yes; that motherboard includes a Realtek RTL8111E Ethernet controller. What OS did you install? Make sure that the Realtek drivers are loaded, i.e., there should be no unknown devices. Also make sure that the Cat5 Ethernet cable is good.
January 28, 2011 1:39:20 AM

Hey, thanks for the clarifications so far. They are a great help. Just bare with me for a little bit and I think we can discover the root of this problem.

First, I am using Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium. I downloaded the latest drivers for it but I still can't connect to the internet. When I run Troubleshooting in Win7, I get this message: "A network cable is not properly plugged in or may be broken."

Which is extremely odd because the cable is indeed plugged in. One thing I should note is that my IO panel has a little tab sticking into the hole where the Ethernet cable goes. I plugged it in anyway. It makes a little click, but I can pull the cable out without pressing the tab on the cable down. Maybe this might be the cause. I will check things out and get back with you.

Meanwhile, here are some details on the error that I received:

Quote:
Details about network adapter diagnosis:

Network adapter Local Area Connection driver information:

Description . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Manufacturer . . . . . . . . . : Realtek
Provider . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek
Version . . . . . . . . . . . : 7.37.1229.2010
Inf File Name . . . . . . . . . : C:\Windows\INF\oem14.inf
Inf File Date . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, December 30, 2010 5:13:10 AM
Section Name . . . . . . . . . : RTL8168E.ndi
Hardware ID . . . . . . . . . . : pci\ven_10ec&dev_8168&rev_06
Instance Status Flags . . . . . : 0x180200a
Device Manager Status Code . . : 0
IfType . . . . . . . . . . . . : 6
Physical Media Type . . . . . . : 14

EDIT: This problem has been resolved. Thanks to your suggestions, I simply moved the metal tab on my I/O panel out of the way and was able to completely plug in my Ethernet cable. I guess it was plugged in before, but not enough for my PC to detect. Thanks for your help!
m
l
January 28, 2011 2:14:50 AM

Best answer selected by HelpingHands.
m
l
a c 229 V Motherboard
January 28, 2011 6:26:45 PM

HelpingHands said:
Best answer selected by HelpingHands.

nThe metal tab should normally be on top of the Ethernet port connector, but it's easy to miss it when assembling the PC. Glad you got it working!
m
l
!