First build with problems

daman

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2007
Hello i have built my first computer about 3 months ago and im having some problems with the computer. It seems to run fine untill i play games on it, but when i do play games on it i get random freeze ups, my screen will freeze for about 10 sec then it will flash a color white, blue,black,purple and then it comes back on and im ok to play again well if i hit windows and read the error is says

display adapter has stopped responding and has recovered.

I build this comp for my roommate and I have the money to build me one now but im kinda scared to cause i dont want the same problem.

Here is the computer build with the problems.

ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
AMD Phenom II X4 945
5770 sapphire
Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W
Anctec 300 case
windows7 64bit
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

Also i d have the latest drivers for my video card.

Is there any ways to fix this?

SHANEMARINES

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
There's only really two things it can be as I've had a similar problem, I had a time of freezes when I was playing a game my RAM would get maxed and windows would start freezing, or it could be your power supply isn't giving the GPU enough power to run at its full power!

Well those are the fixes I used on my computer when Crysis wasn't running out and Windows 7 was freezing.

daman

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2007
Well I have a cpu usage divice and i never seen this comp use more then 50% of its ram and i never seen my vid card get over 54c my cpu has got to 50c. Anyways if i reinstall everything you think that might fix it?

Indecisive_man

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
I believe it is very unlikely that reinstalling everything will resolve the issue.

Check your event viewer to see what is dying and then post that here. I'm pretty sure its going to be ATIKMDAG. Nvidia's version of the same issue will reference NVLDDMKM. There are several threads here on it. Here is one of them.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/270505-33-display-driver-stopped-responding-recovered-over-over

You might want to try the following:
1) Download the latest ATI drivers but don't install them just yet.
2) Download the driver cleaner utility. I forget the website but I'm sure someone here has it.
3) Uninstall your existing ATI drivers via Control Panel
4) Boot into Safe Mode
5) Run the driver cleaner and remove the ATI drivers.
6) Then reinstall the new ATI drivers from step #1.

I wish I could say this will definitely fix it. Truth be told, I'm a bit doubtful that it will. I 've been battling a similar issue with the nvidia driver on an old XPS 410 and Windows Vista without much success. If you come up with a solution, please post because I think it would benefit a number of people.

tecmo34

Administrator
I would recommend the Driver Sweeper for Step #2. :)

daman

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2007
Ok i have not run the tests yet ill do it this weekend, but i did take my game out of windows mode and the freeze ups hardly ever happen now it probly stoped 90%, but the game dont seem to run as smooth seems kinda choppy like i dont have enough ram idk. The game i play is world of warcraft, also in windows mode i was runing about 75fps out of windows mode its around 50-60fps.

daman

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2007

Ok maybe im just dumb but witch memtest do i download on the page i tryed this one Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
and this one Download - Auto-installer for USB Key (Win 9x/2k/xp/7)
They both want me to burn it to a disc or a usb drive