External Drives that need some type of exterior cooling system

My office in my home unfortunately has two skylights and about 5 almost floor to ceiling windows. (It was built to be a sunroom but was the only room in the house for an office.) I am a photographer and have about 17TB's of external hard drives connected to various computers. It gets hot in here in the summer and I can't keep it cool. I am worried about all my drives. My lacie is already failing and I have backed it up on another drive but I really need to find a way to keep these things cool. Any ideas on a small portable device/fan or whatever I can plug in and point at the DESK cabinet that holds all my drives?

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!
Diane
2 answers Last reply
More about external drives type exterior cooling system
  1. Your best bet woud be to air condition the room. If this stuff is as important to you as you have described, then it should be in a room that is temperature controlled. I know servers that run companies that use less hdd space than you have, and al of them have their servers in air conditioned spaces. A simple fan is not going to solve your problem. Why not look into installing what is called a "Mini Split" in the air conditioning industry, it's a small a/c unit that can cool just one room. If that isnt going to work, due to the room being a sun room, then my suggestion is move the equipment to a room that will. Best of luck.
  2. Thanks for your quick reply and honesty. I have one but it broke and wasn't looking forward to fixing it... But alas I guess I must. Thanks!
Ask a new question

Read More

Office Storage