Sign in with
Your question

How to overclock my Radeon 5970 ????????

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 11, 2010 6:29:32 PM

Hey guys, I just finished my computer build. Im in love with it but I know theres TONS more potential in this 5970. I don't want to leave it at stock speeds. It's on the 10.3 drivers with the latest application install from AMD.

I have the XFX Radeon 5970 Black edition. It came with an over-volt tool and I can overclock from within the ATI Catalyst but Im afraid because I really dont know wtf to do and what clock speed is good.

Anyone able to point me in the right direction ? Or maybe post up a good setting I can use ? Or does it vary depending on everyones system ?

My build for reference:

HAF 932 Full Tower
Gigabyte EX58A-UD5
i7 920 @ 3.6ghz
Zalman 120mm 9900ALED CPU Fan
Radeon 5970
12gig ddr3 Crucial Ballastix 1333mhz ram @ 8-8-8-24
Antec 1200 watt psu
Windows 7 x64

More about : overclock radeon 5970

April 11, 2010 8:52:14 PM

Raise the voltages on the HD5970 by using the over-volt tool; there should only be two settings. From there, raise the speeds on the memory/core by about 50 each. Run the computer with a few games, and enjoy.
Day after that, if everything is stable, increase the core and memory again, this time by about 20 each. Repeat, making sure everything is stable.

Memory runs into issues when you try to get it around 1200mhz.
m
l
April 11, 2010 9:00:49 PM

Yep, you can test each speed (while watching temps) using a program such as Furmark or OCCT as well. That is how I found the max stock volts OC on my 5850. Raise a little and test until it fails or crashes, then back off the clocks and have fun!
m
l
April 11, 2010 9:30:50 PM

Oh wow, thank you for the replies guys. I REALLY APPRECIATE IT. I just don't know what voltage is safe with my setup.

I just raised the GPU clock to 850mhz and the memory clock to 1200mhz and was playing Bad Company 2 BEFORE I saw your replies and it crashed like 10 minutes in. I didn't touch the XFX Overvolt tool though. I left that alone. I had to reboot my system. It just froze and went to a blank white screen.

When you say to raise the voltages, what am I doing there ? How much am I increasing it ? Why am I increasing ? Yes I know, total noob I appreciate your help big time.

There are 2 options, engine voltage and memory voltage. How much is a good amount ? How much should I raise it ?

EDIT******************************* Im now reading this article from guru3d on overclocking the radeon 5970

http://www.guru3d.eu/article/overclock-radeon-5970-guid...

tell me what ya think about it if you havent seen it already

m
l
!