How to overclock my Radeon 5970 ????????

bizzmeister

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
Hey guys, I just finished my computer build. Im in love with it but I know theres TONS more potential in this 5970. I don't want to leave it at stock speeds. It's on the 10.3 drivers with the latest application install from AMD.

I have the XFX Radeon 5970 Black edition. It came with an over-volt tool and I can overclock from within the ATI Catalyst but Im afraid because I really dont know wtf to do and what clock speed is good.

Anyone able to point me in the right direction ? Or maybe post up a good setting I can use ? Or does it vary depending on everyones system ?

My build for reference:

HAF 932 Full Tower
Gigabyte EX58A-UD5
i7 920 @ 3.6ghz
Zalman 120mm 9900ALED CPU Fan
Radeon 5970
12gig ddr3 Crucial Ballastix 1333mhz ram @ 8-8-8-24
Antec 1200 watt psu
Windows 7 x64

Raise the voltages on the HD5970 by using the over-volt tool; there should only be two settings. From there, raise the speeds on the memory/core by about 50 each. Run the computer with a few games, and enjoy.
Day after that, if everything is stable, increase the core and memory again, this time by about 20 each. Repeat, making sure everything is stable.
ati_overvolt.png

5970oc_gpuz.gif

Memory runs into issues when you try to get it around 1200mhz.

Yep, you can test each speed (while watching temps) using a program such as Furmark or OCCT as well. That is how I found the max stock volts OC on my 5850. Raise a little and test until it fails or crashes, then back off the clocks and have fun!

bizzmeister

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
Oh wow, thank you for the replies guys. I REALLY APPRECIATE IT. I just don't know what voltage is safe with my setup.

I just raised the GPU clock to 850mhz and the memory clock to 1200mhz and was playing Bad Company 2 BEFORE I saw your replies and it crashed like 10 minutes in. I didn't touch the XFX Overvolt tool though. I left that alone. I had to reboot my system. It just froze and went to a blank white screen.

When you say to raise the voltages, what am I doing there ? How much am I increasing it ? Why am I increasing ? Yes I know, total noob I appreciate your help big time.

There are 2 options, engine voltage and memory voltage. How much is a good amount ? How much should I raise it ?

EDIT******************************* Im now reading this article from guru3d on overclocking the radeon 5970

http://www.guru3d.eu/article/overclock-radeon-5970-guide/2

tell me what ya think about it if you havent seen it already