shirokado

Honorable
May 5, 2012
OK so i have a few bucks saved up. now i am at the stage of choosing between a
Crucial m4 128GB, $119.99
OCZ Agility 3 120gb $84.99
OCZ Vertex 3 120gb 114.99
Corsair 120GB Force 114.99

so which one is the better choice? im going for the crucial m4 ATM because i have the older model 64GB version and it has performed fine. but the agility 3 is tempting because of price but i am not sure about the performance. all opinions are welcome and ill take suggestions to :)

evan1715

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
i have the 120gb corsair ssd
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233191
it's pretty good.
DriveComparisonBenches2.png

LordConrad

Distinguished
I have always preferred the SandForce drives because of the low write amplification, which is due to the built-in data compression. Theoretically, this means the drives will have a longer lifespan. Realistically, I can't say as I've not used up any SSDs for a comparison. I can say that I have installed four SandForce drives (two with the 1222 controller and two with the 2281 controller), each in a different computer, and not one of them ever had any problems.

My most recent installation was a 240GB Mushkin Chronos Deluxe into a Mac Mini (Mid 2011 model). The current price of $0.83 per GB on the 240GB model and the great performance of the drive is why I've started recommending the Mushkin drives.

LordConrad

Distinguished
In my experience, SSDs are just as reliable as Hard Drives. Production lines never test 100% of the products coming off of them, so there is always a chance you'll get a defective unit. The companies with the best reputations are Intel, Samsung, and Crucial. Even these companies are not perfect. I recall Intel having a serious firmware bug not long ago, which took them a while to fix.

IslandStyle99

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
Hi, I'm in the market for an SSD and I've read a few nuevo-egg reviews complaining about Sandforce driver problems (stuttering?). After a quick google, there's a slew of reports about it (OCZ thread on Tom's included).

Does anyone know if this is a trend or isolated incident? Corsair Force use Sandforce (nuevo huevo has a killer deal on the corsair 240GB for $169USD, but one of the most recent reviews spooked me). I've had great performance from Corsair memory, so I thought this would be a safe bet.

Hmm, get what you pay for? Stick to Intel/Crucial? PS: Does Samsung = WD (like their HDDs?)

Thanks in advance

evan1715

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
if u look up at my previous post it, its my personal scores from my corsair 120gb force gt ssd.
it's pretty good, ive had it for 4 months and its still excellent. worth it. i got corsair because i have corsair 750w psu, corsair 2x4gb ram and it was on sale. i havent had any problems with the corsair brand.