  • Configuration
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
January 19, 2005 12:55:35 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

Can anyone tell me why I cannot UNC to a machine after installing Service
Pack 2 for Windows XP. I do have the firewall turned on with exceptions.
They are File and Printer Sharing and Remote Assistence. There are a few
other ports and or apps that I have in the exceptions list and are used
mainly for Remote Control services in our organization. What port or app do
I need to enable to allow UNC'ing on a Windows XP Service Pack 2 machine?

More about : unc sp2

January 19, 2005 12:55:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Open up a Command Propmt window;

Start | Run | cmd - click OK

then try this command;

netsh firewall set service type = fileandprint mode = enable scope = all

See what happens then ?

Good luck.

"John Vee" wrote:

> Can anyone tell me why I cannot UNC to a machine after installing Service
> Pack 2 for Windows XP. I do have the firewall turned on with exceptions.
> They are File and Printer Sharing and Remote Assistence. There are a few
> other ports and or apps that I have in the exceptions list and are used
> mainly for Remote Control services in our organization. What port or app do
> I need to enable to allow UNC'ing on a Windows XP Service Pack 2 machine?

Anonymous
January 19, 2005 2:34:46 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

Ok I see the err in my way. I was using the netsh command but not the
complete command. I did not use the "Scope = all" part of the command. We
have many subnets and not using the scope = all only enables people on the
same subnet to UNC and everyone on a different subnet to not UNC. Thanks for
pointing that out to me. This would have been the one and only thing I didnt
check.

"John Vee" <john.vee@ole.net> wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me why I cannot UNC to a machine after installing Service
> Pack 2 for Windows XP. I do have the firewall turned on with exceptions.
> They are File and Printer Sharing and Remote Assistence. There are a few
> other ports and or apps that I have in the exceptions list and are used
> mainly for Remote Control services in our organization. What port or app
> do I need to enable to allow UNC'ing on a Windows XP Service Pack 2
> machine?

Anonymous
January 19, 2005 7:34:08 PM

John Vee wrote:

> Can anyone tell me why I cannot UNC to a machine after installing Service
> Pack 2 for Windows XP. I do have the firewall turned on with exceptions.
> They are File and Printer Sharing and Remote Assistence. There are a few
> other ports and or apps that I have in the exceptions list and are used
> mainly for Remote Control services in our organization. What port or app do
> I need to enable to allow UNC'ing on a Windows XP Service Pack 2 machine?
Hi

Does it work if you temporary disable the firewall?

Is so, enable the firewall again and then enable firewall logging and
analyze the log file:

Troubleshooting Windows Firewall settings in Windows XP Service Pack 2

A much more detailed version:
Troubleshooting Windows Firewall in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2

The Cable Guy - February 2004
Manually Configuring Windows Firewall in Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cabl...

the 1328 page Scripting Guide: