Cannot UNC to pc after SP2

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

Can anyone tell me why I cannot UNC to a machine after installing Service
Pack 2 for Windows XP. I do have the firewall turned on with exceptions.
They are File and Printer Sharing and Remote Assistence. There are a few
other ports and or apps that I have in the exceptions list and are used
mainly for Remote Control services in our organization. What port or app do
I need to enable to allow UNC'ing on a Windows XP Service Pack 2 machine?
3 answers Last reply
More about cannot
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Open up a Command Propmt window;

    Start | Run | cmd - click OK

    then try this command;

    netsh firewall set service type = fileandprint mode = enable scope = all

    See what happens then ?

    Good luck.

    "John Vee" wrote:

    > Can anyone tell me why I cannot UNC to a machine after installing Service
    > Pack 2 for Windows XP. I do have the firewall turned on with exceptions.
    > They are File and Printer Sharing and Remote Assistence. There are a few
    > other ports and or apps that I have in the exceptions list and are used
    > mainly for Remote Control services in our organization. What port or app do
    > I need to enable to allow UNC'ing on a Windows XP Service Pack 2 machine?

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

    Ok I see the err in my way. I was using the netsh command but not the
    complete command. I did not use the "Scope = all" part of the command. We
    have many subnets and not using the scope = all only enables people on the
    same subnet to UNC and everyone on a different subnet to not UNC. Thanks for
    pointing that out to me. This would have been the one and only thing I didnt
    check.

    "John Vee" <john.vee@ole.net> wrote in message
    > Can anyone tell me why I cannot UNC to a machine after installing Service
    > Pack 2 for Windows XP. I do have the firewall turned on with exceptions.
    > They are File and Printer Sharing and Remote Assistence. There are a few
    > other ports and or apps that I have in the exceptions list and are used
    > mainly for Remote Control services in our organization. What port or app
    > do I need to enable to allow UNC'ing on a Windows XP Service Pack 2
    > machine?

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

    John Vee wrote:

    > Can anyone tell me why I cannot UNC to a machine after installing Service
    > Pack 2 for Windows XP. I do have the firewall turned on with exceptions.
    > They are File and Printer Sharing and Remote Assistence. There are a few
    > other ports and or apps that I have in the exceptions list and are used
    > mainly for Remote Control services in our organization. What port or app do
    > I need to enable to allow UNC'ing on a Windows XP Service Pack 2 machine?
    Hi

    Does it work if you temporary disable the firewall?

    Is so, enable the firewall again and then enable firewall logging and
    analyze the log file:

    Troubleshooting Windows Firewall settings in Windows XP Service Pack 2

    A much more detailed version:
    Troubleshooting Windows Firewall in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a7628646-131d-4617-bf68-f0532d8db131&DisplayLang=en

    The Cable Guy - February 2004
    Manually Configuring Windows Firewall in Windows XP Service Pack 2
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0204.mspx

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Configuration Microsoft Windows XP