Sign in with
Your question
Closed

In Win 7 How can I nail the Icons to the Desktop?

Last response: in Windows 7
October 26, 2011 10:48:02 PM

In Win 7 How can I nail the Icons to the Desktop? I have just upgraded my wife to Win7, and there is one thing she hates. Every time there is a reboot, most of her carefully positioned desktop icons are automatically rearranged and jumbled together on the left side of the screen. Is there a way to keep the icons from being rearranged? I have tried various combinations of "align icons to grid" checked/unchecked and "automatically arrange icons" checked/unchecked, but they seem to still be rearranged on reboot. :fou: 

Jim T.

More about : win nail icons desktop

a c 395 $ Windows 7
October 26, 2011 10:50:58 PM

Drag her favorites down to the taskbar and pin them there.They will stay where you pin them!
Score
October 26, 2011 10:59:43 PM

Good idea, but she wants them on the desktop area. She has about 30 or 40 icons, arranged by purpose (music related, document related, utility, etc) on different parts of the desktop (upper-left, lower-left, lower-right) , so she can find things her way when she wants to start a program. ;)  She doesn't like to use the start button.
Score
Related resources
October 26, 2011 10:59:51 PM

Try this: http://www.stardock.com/products/fences/?ref=
By default you can't "lock" icons in place. You can align to grid, and that's about it. The fences application I linked should be able to do it for you.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
October 26, 2011 11:01:36 PM

jtennison said:
In Win 7 How can I nail the Icons to the Desktop? I have just upgraded my wife to Win7, and there is one thing she hates. Every time there is a reboot, most of her carefully positioned desktop icons are automatically rearranged and jumbled together on the left side of the screen. Is there a way to keep the icons from being rearranged? I have tried various combinations of "align icons to grid" checked/unchecked and "automatically arrange icons" checked/unchecked, but they seem to still be rearranged on reboot. :fou: 

Jim T.

Right click on the desktop; in view, select align icons to grid, and show desktop icons.

They will start out ordered, but if you move them around, they will stay where you put them.

Mine do, so if your's move after a reboot, we will look some more as to why.

May I also suggest you use sleep(to S3) which is very fast to sleep and resume.
Score
October 26, 2011 11:03:07 PM

arael said:
Try this: http://www.stardock.com/products/fences/?ref=
By default you can't "lock" icons in place. You can align to grid, and that's about it. The fences application I linked should be able to do it for you.

That used to work in XP, Icons stayed where-ever you moved them to. When did this change? Visa? Win7? Any idea why?
Score
a c 395 $ Windows 7
October 26, 2011 11:04:37 PM

Mine don't move around on my desktop
Score
October 26, 2011 11:09:58 PM

geofelt said:
Right click on the desktop; in view, select align icons to grid, and show desktop icons.

They will start out ordered, but if you move them around, they will stay where you put them.

Mine do, so if your's move after a reboot, we will look some more as to why.

May I also suggest you use sleep(to S3) which is very fast to sleep and resume.

Thanks, I'll give that a try. The wife is busily beating on the keyboard now, so it will be a while before I can get her to reboot. :D 
Score

Best solution

October 26, 2011 11:10:46 PM

jtennison said:
That used to work in XP, Icons stayed where-ever you moved them to. When did this change? Visa? Win7? Any idea why?

If you don't have auto arrange ticked then they shouldn't move around.
I find they only move if there's a change in display resolution, and even then icons on the right usually stay on the right side, just get smushed in closer.

Align to grid - on
Auto arrange - off
Should do it. If it's not then something funky is going on.
October 26, 2011 11:52:33 PM

If you change the monitor resolution it will cause the icons to change. I use a program called "iconsort". You can arrange your icons and then take a snapshot of where they are located. Then if they get rearranged through some means you can use the program to restore the icons to the desired layout.

I change my screen resolution daily, which rearranges my icons, so I use this program to restore the layout.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
October 26, 2011 11:57:08 PM

Don't forge arael's point to turn off autoarrange.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
October 27, 2011 3:55:54 AM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
Mine don't move around on my desktop

Mine don't either lol!
Score
October 27, 2011 7:21:27 AM

Best answer selected by jtennison.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
October 27, 2011 7:26:22 AM