E3300 Running VERY Hot: 95-100* C at full load!

jleonard711

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
I just put together a new system with an E3300 and stock CPU fan, and after installing the OS I ran a stress test with Everest and it showed my CPU running at a whopping 95-100* under full load!! And it's not due to poor case ventilation - I actually ran the stress test with both sides of the case off. How is that even possible? Isn't this CPU supposed to run nice and cool? It sits at about 40-45* at idle which I think is very hot too. Any ideas what the problem might be?

jleonard711

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
And to answer a few questions in advance:

-I have already made sure the CPU fan is running. It throttles up to full speed under full load, while the CPU is running at 95-100, and then as soon as I stop the stress test the temps drop quickly back down to 40-45.

-I double checked to make sure the CPU cooler was seated properly. And I know it's transferring heat into the heatsink because it gets extremely hot under load.

-It has not been overclocked at all, it is running at stock speeds and voltages.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Don't feel bad, you can cook food on it :)

On a more serious note:
-Having your case sides off is a bad idea, a very bad idea. When the case is closed, the fans inside create an air current contained inside the case which goes in a general direction to cool the components and then is exhausted out. If your case sides are off, the air current inside can disperse and go out of the case before it cools the components. It also depends on the case and other variables but generally, my advice is keep the case side closed.

-Next, to make sure your heat sink is properly secured, turn your computer on its side. Gravity will tell you if the heat sink is secured. If temperatures drop while its on the side, it means the heat sink has better contact...hence gravity. Then you'll need to find a better way to secure the right way.

-Try replacing thermal paste and make sure you put it on right. Buy something high quality from a brand and get instructions online to put it on right. It can make a difference.

-I don't weather intel's 775 socket CPU's have this but the i7's have something called turbo mode where it automatically overclocks itself when stressed to increase performance. Maybe this is your problem.

jleonard711

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
I haven't had a chance to play with it again since posting this, but I'm guessing that the heatsink probably isn't seated correctly (even though is appears to be). The problem with the mobo is that the NB heatsink is very close to the CPU, I had to slightly tilt it out of the way to put the cooler on. Even though it seemed fine after I installed it, maybe it's pushing against it and preventing the cooler from making 100% contact with the CPU.

Will the backing plate that you gave a link to work with the stock CPU cooler? The only thing about going with the backing plate option is this system was a PITA to put together because it's in a very tight miniITX case, so I don't look forward to taking everything out and then putting it back together again. I think I'll play around with the CPU cooler and possible even grind off a little bit of the NB heatsink so it's not in the way and see if that helps.