890FXA-UD5 and Freezer 7 pro

TheScorpion

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
Hi ,
I have the Freezer 7 pro rev.2 its not installed yet , but i read that there is a problem with the 890FXA-UD5 that you can't install any RAM on the #1 slot because of the size of the freezer 7

i have Phenom II X4 955 and 4GB of G.skill Ripjaw Ram installed at #3 & #4 slots

My possible solution is one of these :

1) i can install the fan too but when i need to upgrade the ram i will buy a 8GB kit (2*4GB) -probably Ripjaws- and Place one of the oldest 2*2GB in the #2 slot so i have 10GB of RAM and sell the other one :)

2) buy another AM3 CPU Fan

can you help me decide which solution is the best , keep in mind that i won't OC my CPU any time soon just tired of the noisy stock fan

jerry6

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009

No soloution , I find the fan on my 1100t noisy as well , more so than the fan on my old opteron 185 . The opteron fan had more blades on the fan and they were not as straight ct as the blades on the new phenom fan , would the opteron fan fit the phenom cooler ? Cause they had more blades and better design , it sure was quieter when running full speed , new fan on phenom sounds like a turbo !

bilbat

Splendid
Scorpion

I wouldn't even bother with keeping the 'odd' DIMM. It's difficult at best, and impossible at worst, to get 'mis-matched' RAM to work - and, if possible, the only solution is to slow down the whole shebang to a 'lowest common denominator' state. 4G DIMMs will likely become the standard this year, and will also likely become considerably faster, as the process is moving to a new 'node' - both RAM and controllers are going from 3x nm to 2x nm - two fabs already have the new nodes up and running, and the remainder will soon follow, or be 'shaken out' of an aleady low-profit business. It sounds like you're assuming this will be trouble, based on someone else's comments - should be easy enough to see if you've got clearance - just center up the cooler over the existing one and 'peer down' the edges. For quite a while, I put freezers on everything - never ran into trouble. The ones I used to use were rev1's, and, at least for Intels (I 'don't do' AMD's :kaola: ), could be oriented two ways - one of them a bit narrower... I'm not sure whether this is possible with the new mounts, and an AMD - but give it a close look - if I recall, used to save a few millimeters.

Jerry

As far as I know, the AMD fan retaining 'ledges' haven't changed for a long time. While I doubt you can simply swap fans, I'm pretty certain it should be possible to just swap the whole cooler - you'll just need to do a careful job of cleaning the thermal compound off the CPU face and old cooler - then apply new compond - 'bout a 'rice grain' sized dot is just right...

jerry6

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009

Trouble is the ohenom cooler has a lot more copper base , it is much bigger , where the opty copper was the size of the cpu heat spreader the phenom is much larger than the spreader about 1/4-1/2" more on 2 sides , so can adsorb more heat I think . Wish I had taken pics before installing !

TheScorpion

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
i installed it , let me say its more quiet than the stock one

The CPU is around 37C at idle and 50C at full 100% with prime95

but its true it block the #1 RAM slot, half of it honestly

i will figure something out when i need to upgrade the RAM

Thanks guys for your replies.....