Clipping and clicking

cutcopypaste

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
I've got constant clipping and clicking on my computer lately.. whether with headphones or speakers. Sounds like it's a really bad rip or something but it's doing it for all the audio. I'm using just the onboard soundcard in the MSI 870A-G54.
It's getting pretty annoying and I'm not really sure of any way to go about troubleshooting something like this. If it was just the speakers or just the headphones I'd suspect connection problem, but the headphone jack is in the front of my case and the speakers plugged in at the back.
Just wondering of some things I could try.
And sorry if this isn't really the correct forum.. Thanks!

cutcopypaste

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
No it's definitely part of the audio out.. I never hear it unless I've got audio playing somewhere whether itunes, mediamonkey, videos or games. it's like hiccups in the audio.. so it's not just a sound, it's like a skip or blip.. sounds basically like a distorted audio artifact like when a cell phone gets called near your speakers but just for a split second

cutcopypaste

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
not as far as i can tell. I unplugged or removed anything i thought might be interfering (speakers, chargers, audio preamp) and it still was doing it. I rebooted the computer and it seems generally better so far... wonder if this is a case of charge building up the longer the computer's on or something? I'm no expert in these things..

cutcopypaste

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
Not sure exactly when it started... maybe about a week or so that I noticed.. but it is pretty subtle.. until you know it's there, at which point it is very maddening!
It has been ok since my reboot, still. (also opened my case and checked power cable connections.. didn't find any loose or anything).

I had a similar thing going on before with an external soundboard/keyboard combo (edirol pcr-a30), which I attributed to either the pcr or involved cabling and moved back to my onboard sound, which fixed things then.. that was maybe a month ago.

Furieux

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
It's probably you wireless network that's causing interference....

I had the same exact problem with my laptop and when i turned off the wireless, the clipping and clicking were gone.

cutcopypaste

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
Hmm wireless is an idea.. the signal is pretty weak where i am though.. it's the opposite side of the house and one floor down from the router.. disabling isn't an option bc of other people in the house needing it... is there any way to protect against it?
CPU definitely not at max.. i have a hexacore and I'm not doing anything particularly intensive the times it happens and haven't noticed an increase/decrease when I am

I have noticed, now that I've been paying attention, though, that it tends to happen more the longer my computer is on and will get better with a restart. What could that mean, do you think?

cutcopypaste

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
I'm using the integrated audio already actually.
Your second idea makes a bit of sense.. It's pretty cool in my case, though, so that'd have to be from something defective I'd think. According to everest: cpu is 23C, GPU is 43C and hard drives range from 24 to 29C right now. Mind you I'm not getting the clicking too bad right now. I'll defnitely been on the lookout for any sort of correlations

Computerrock1

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
If you have hdmi enabled, try the gpu audio and see if it still is affected, if which case, it could be corrupted drivers, codecs gone bad, too many codecs running at once, the list isn't endless but there are multiple things it could be...

Computerrock1

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
One quick idea, my friend was having an issue with his integrated audio randomly spuritng out digital beeps and screeches, really wierd, he fixed it by removing the cases front audio connector from the motherboard, he never had the issue again. Don't ask me how that would work.

cutcopypaste

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
Yeah I guess if there was something amiss with the front connection it could cause problems.. I might try that for kicks next time I open the sucker up.
It's actually been pretty good today. I'm waiting till it gets bad again (never?never?please?lol) to open 'er up.
I tried disabling hdmi audio though since i'm not using it anyway

cutcopypaste

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
Just to update.. still haven't figured out what the heck is going on here. It's being super bad right now. frustration! I would take apart my tower again and doublecheck there's no issues with the wiring, but I don't know exactly what I'm looking for.