SSD + 2 TB HDD (RAID) issues

ppv

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2008
Hi there,

Whenever I have my SSD and 2 TB HDD plugged in ( HDD set as Raid), it will not allow me to boot from my SSD (it will not show up as a boot device/ or probably not detected with an error saying "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key...")... and since I'm a newbie with hard drives I'll need some advice please! (I'm sorry as I'm quite sure someone out there might have the same issue, but at this stage I do not have the time to be looking around the forums to look for any possible solutions...) Thanks in advance!

Here are my computer specs...
SSD - PLEXTOR 256G M3 PRO SATA
CPU- i7 3770K
Mobo - ASUS P8ZSABE SABERTOOTH Z77
HDD - SEGATE 2TB 72K RPM (x2)

if you need other info please let me know...

Once again thank you.

Solution
make sure your SSD is plugged into SATA0 on the mb which should be part of the intel chipset. the regular hard disks should be plugged into the 3rd party controller. usually motherboards have different colored sata ports to differentiate them. then in the bios you can choose the boot order.
make sure your SSD is plugged into SATA0 on the mb which should be part of the intel chipset. the regular hard disks should be plugged into the 3rd party controller. usually motherboards have different colored sata ports to differentiate them. then in the bios you can choose the boot order.

Solution

ppv

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2008

Thanks for your reply nhasian,

I've just checked and it is in sata0 (Grey color for me) and the other 2 HDD are in black color, and now i am able to choose my SSD as boot, but later it says "Disk read error", but if i remove the 2 HDD will be able to boot...

Thanks again!