Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Weekly Poll #2:

Tags:
  • Computer
  • Components
Last response: in Components

In general, what is the best way to make a computer costing $3000 last for 10 years? Purchase a:

Total: 19 votes (2 blank votes)

• $3000 system now
  • 0 %
  • $1500 system now, and another $1500 system in 5 years
  • 6 %
  • $1000 system now, and a new $1000 system every 3 years
  • 83 %
  • $2000 system now, and a $1000 system in 5 years
  • 0 %
  • $500 system now, a $1000 system in 3 years and a $1500 system in another 3 years
  • 0 %
  • a $2000 system now and a $1000 system in 5 years
  • 0 %
  • a $600 system every 2 years
  • 12 %
  • system with the minimum I need now, and upgrade slowly through 10 years, keeping under a total of $3000 (ie, screw "futureproofing")
  • 0 %
  • I have another suggestion (please post)
  • 0 %
July 17, 2010 7:06:52 PM

Please suggest topics for future polls in this thread:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/285589-28-weekly-poll

Results from last weeks poll: Motherboard/ CPU price split for new build?
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/285685-28-weekly-poll...

This week's question relates to the value of a system over time:

Given $3000, what is the best way to keep a computer running most consistently at the "top of the line" that is possible for the price for 10 years?
or
In general, what is the best way to make a computer costing $3000 last for 10 years?

Question information:
-For this poll, we will assume the buyer is a moderate gamer who doesn't mind lowering some settings to game on a 1920x1080 monitor, or lowering the resolution to 1280x720 for the more demanding games. ie, doesn't mind performance as bad as a 4670 for today's games.
-They use the computer for work/ school and do a small amount of video editing as well
-They will do the same tasks for the next 10 years and update their software on a regular basis to keep current.
-Do not argue over the brands to be used. Keep favouritism out. I have included examples from the main competing brands to keep things fair.

More about : weekly poll

July 17, 2010 7:36:46 PM

Usually, assuming no LCD/OS, you can easily get a good PC for $1k and upgrade it down the road or do a new build in 1.5-2 years.
July 17, 2010 8:02:30 PM

Personally spending $600 on a new budget build every couple years sounds better to me. You may not be able to push games to their limits, but everything would still play fine.
Or you could spend more on the build, and just upgrade the video card in a couple years, than in another couple years do another all new build.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 18, 2010 2:19:16 AM

I think with a little advanced planning if you spent ~1000-1500 on a good build today, with a high end PSU and case that you can carry down the line for several years, you can cut down the cost of the next two builds.
July 18, 2010 3:45:42 AM

Well, if you can keep components, such as the PSU, hard drive, disk drive, and case, then you could get good reusable ones that will last a few builds and reuse em to lower cost.

AMD would also be the best price for performance as you could reuse the mobo for at least one more build later on.

The lower you go, whether Cpu or Gpu, the price for performance usually gets better so keeping lower end parts and just upgrading to the low end each time will also save money.
July 18, 2010 4:14:43 AM

The only reasonable option to me is spend $1000 on a new system every three years. For the $600 every two years, the performance differences won't justify the upgrade, and spending less on a system then than now is pointless because most likely you'll end up with a system just as powerful if not weaker than your current one.