Mobo Issue or something else?

trunxkam45

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2005
Hi,

So I was installing a new AMD Phenom II X6 3.2 Thuban cpu on my bro's computer(to replace an old Athlon X2).

After bootup it blue screened on me and was very loud. After looking around I determined that the BIOS was not updated since he got it in October 2009 and did not support X6 cpu's.

So I booted the computer up with the X2 inside and I updated the BIOS. Blue screen. This is with the X2, mind you.
I have:
reset the CMOS.
swapped HDD's. (used XP Pro instead of win 7!)
used onboard gpu, took pci out, only used 1 stick of ram to cut power usage to rule out PSU
Enabled ACC and switched to hybrid

still could not get the damn thing into windows! A few times no picture came up and it just shut off on its own!

When I booted from the cd and it worked! Not sure how that helps, but whatever.

When I looked around online I found people with similar bootup issues had a faulty motherboard. Luckily this part is still under warranty but is there another solution for me to try?

Also Specs:

CPU: Athlon X2 or X6
PSU: BFG Tech 550 W
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H
RAM: Corsair 2 x 2gb ddr2
gpu: radeon 4870 hd 1 gb pci exp

Pop out the round motherboard battery (with the system off, press the metal tang along the edge of the battery with a dull knife or flathead screwdrive) to get it up enough to lift out. Then reinstall, and power up. You should be instucted to press an "f" key to get into the bios. Set the boot order, and check that the board recognizes the new cpu. Finally, to reduce the fan noise, change the smartfan settings. I use a quiet setting or percentage lower than 100, whichever option your board has. Save and exit. If the system still displays the same symptoms, I would try another power supply.

trunxkam45

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2005
Yea popped out the battery and reinstalled. Oh yea it DOES recognize the X6 with an updated BIOS, but the problem is when booting up windows it restarts. The fan noise has gone down and all so those things aren't really an issue. I can get the X6 to the windows 7 setup cd screen. And the blue screen when trying to load the OS itself flashes for a fraction of a second so I can't read what it says.

But like I said, I did run the system at its bare minimum and it still crashes. Even with a different hdd/os. But it is stable enough to continue running with the X6 and all if it had to. The system just won't let it boot any OS.

TheScorpion

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011

You need to install fresh new OS

trunxkam45

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2005
Why? Also I just popped out the battery and placed a jumper on CLR_CMOS. I'll pop it back in a half hour.

This may also be important: The system seems to be pretty damn stressed when the radeon 4870 and x6 are in the system. also for some reason now i can't get a picture on the bloody 4870!

TheScorpion

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
i did run into this problem before as i were fixing a fried CPU , i had to install a fresh copy of OS as it was crashing when trying to boot up the OS

try repairing the windows from the installation disk....

trunxkam45

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2005
right, well... repairing didn't help. I don't think I need a new PSU, since the loud humming was because I didn't power up the 4870 properly. NOW with the 4870 and x6 cpu, it's pretty quiet. However, there is a failed sleeve fan so I should get that replaced.

trunxkam45

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2005
RESOLVED: well it seems like the issue fixed itself. No need for a psu, mobo, or OS replacement. It just decided to boot up today and said that the system restore (that I attempted a while ago yesterday) was finally successful. Even though it didn't boot up directly after the restore.