Which NAS to choose? Please advise...

elite-fusion

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
Hey guys, I do not know where to turn but I do need some assistance in making a decision as to which NAS to go with.

I am in need of a Network Attached Storage drive, but I would need something with 4 bays because I have 4 HDDs x 3GB each so it would need to support up to 12TB.

This is strictly going to be for home use as a network backup. Myself and my brother have quite alot of data about 3.5-4TB worth, but I am looking to use all 4 HDDs for this. It is going to be for inhome use, but I do not want anything big, but I do want it to be good and powerful. We might also host 1 or 2 websites on there as well.

I was looking into the Seagate Blackarmor NAS 400 (400 - no HDDs simply the NAS it self), but I am not too sure if that is a good choice or not. I was also looking into the WD Sentinal, but also not sure if its any good. I would rather have QNAP i think as it is considered very good but too expensive for me at the moment.

If someone can shine some light on this, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

weemanpow3

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2006
For a NAS drive, I would recommend Synology NAS. I currently have a DS212j 2x bay with 4TB and it's amazing what you can do with it. I use it for for backups and web development. Many people will stand by the products that Synology makes. Synology is a little more expensive than the others, but the quality and software is a lot better than the others.

They do have a few 4x bay boxes that your looking for and would easily host multiple websites, databases, etc... Seriously though, check out their products. I wish I could help you more but I don't know much about seagate and wd nas.

elite-fusion

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
I would need something that supports 12TB, I have also read today that Drobo and Synology are pretty good, can anyone confirm how good and which is better? along with which models i would need to have 4x3TB=12TB?

AlexS_32817

Honorable
May 18, 2012
Elite-Fusion,

I'll tell you what I have purchased and how they work, as far as speed and so on.

D-Link DNS-321 for $100 each from my local CompUSA for simple RAID mirror for backup purpose only and loaded them with Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 7,200RPM 1TB 64MB SATA3 6G/s (2 drives). This was used for Music, Pictures, Data and Movies. Slow as crazy. Even though they are GigLAN, they won't reach past 22MB/s; think that the max on a GigLAN is 125MB/s, so this were very slow. For what I needed them and for what I paid, they were OK. Bought 3 of this just over a year ago.

Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ v2 for $336 from Buy.com with a $100 mail-in rebate that I am still waiting, as I just got this bad boy on 7/15/2010 and loaded it with 4x Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB 7200rpm 64MB SATA3 6G/s. This bad boy will reach speeds of 42-45MB/s write speeds and 65-70MB/s read speeds with such drives and X-RAID2 is awesome. I bought this to replace one of my DNS-321 as I was getting poor performance at 20MB/s and that didn't seem was enough to stream video wireless to my LG 55 3D. This is very nice and specially for the price and the upgradability of X-RAID2. If you don't know about X-RAID2, go to Netgear, you won't be disappointed. The rebate is until 9/30/12, so hurry up!.

Netgear ReadyNAS Pro 6 for $884.85 back on Feb 10, 2012. Upgraded it to 4GB RAM from original 1GB, saw about a 12% increase in speed. Now this BAD-ASS NAS is the thing to have if you have the $ for it. I bought this one for my business and replaced one of them DNS-321. Loaded it with 4x Seagate 7200.12 2TB 64MB 7200rpm SATA3 6G/s, still have 2 bays left. This NAS is insane. If it's not because I am seeing it, I wouldn't believe the speed. GigLAN will max out at 125MB/s, this BAD-ASS NAS is writing at 103-105MB/s and reading at 115-118MB/s. Talk about maximizing the heck out of a GigLAN. It's hitting constant 920-950Mbps; think that 1000Mbps is max, so I am getting 92%-95% constant speeds throughout my office. This is using 2x Netgear GS105, 6x Netgear GS108 and 1x Netgear GS116 running on Cat5e cabling.

If you are looking for 12TB, that means that $ is not that much of an issue and at around $1000 for the ReadyNAS Pro 6, you can reach up to 18TB right now; ready out of the box. I bought them all diskless. I hope my real data helps you out on your decision.

Good luck!

mattj7

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
This is a pretty old post, but I just wanted to say NOT to buy a drobo. Drobo's are terrible and retarted and over-priced. My company bought one before I was hired and at first I was like, Nice! 16tb network attached storage! But it's slow and the software is terrible and it apparently doesn't support active domain. Terrible.