Sign in with
Your question

Resizing partitions

Last response: in Storage
June 25, 2012 7:16:23 PM

hello. i have a new pc which has 1tb of space........ on the c drive theres 322 gb of space free out of 370 ( i have some downloaded programs etc on that), the d drive for data has 540gb free out of 540 ( obviously none on that).. i have a lot of flac music files and basically want to shrink the c drive by say 100gb and increase the d drive by 100gb. What is the best way for me to do this ?

thank you

More about : resizing partitions

a b G Storage
June 25, 2012 8:11:54 PM

1) run chkdisk on your c:
2) defrag your c:
3) boot from an ubuntu or fedora liveCD
4) use the built in tool Gparted to resize your partitions. all done.
m
l
June 25, 2012 8:23:57 PM

If you're using Windows 7, you can use the built-in partition manager. Type "disk management" into your start menu search field and hit enter. Now you're in the Disk Management console. Since your D: partition is empty, just delete the D partition. Now you can just shrink your C: partition to the desired size and reformat the remaining free space back into your D partition.
m
l
a b G Storage
June 28, 2012 11:30:46 AM

As mentioned above you'd better defrag C partition and use CHKDSK command to check the partition, these steps can check out the potential errors which could affect you resize parition,.

And I don't know why you want to shrink a specific value, otherwize you could directly use Windows build-in disk management to rezise partition. if you are using windows7 choose an software Partition Magic for windows 7, here is the link: www.partition-magic-windows7.com
m
l
!