Reasons NOT to get Sandy Bridge this week

RobotAngst

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
I realized I'm getting a little carried away with Sandy Bridge excitement. Maybe I'm not the only one. I'd like to compile a list of reasons not to get the thing so I and others can make a more well-rounded decision. Please add any reasons you can think of. I'll start I guess.

--Ivy Bridge and Bulldozer should both arrive within a year.

--Intel's long-term commitment to 1155 is unclear.

--Is there some issue with early-adopter motherboards and PCI-E?

I gotta say, I'm not yet convincing myself to wait. But maybe one of you guys can.

jpmucha

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
--Unfavorable pricing due to demand possible if supply runs short

--Immature motherboard designs at time of release... perhaps more robust designs arrive later (with better Ivy Bridge support?) [EDIT] ack... forgot about LGA 2011 Thanks Taylor422.

--Budget-minded builders might want to wait for (less favorable but cheaper) i3-2xxx CPUs late next Feburary .

--Enthusiast builders might want to wait for 6 and 8 core parts at the end of 2011

--With Dec 21, 2012 just around the corner... do you really need another computer?

I'm grasping at straws too... still planning on scowering the web Sunday morning...

willmalcom

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
Why should you spend money on SB? Easy because if you don't your GF/Wife is going to spend it on a new purse

My wife is getting it for me !!! :pt1cable:

I make pretty decent money, but she makes about 3 times more than me so she funds these semi-regular tech splurges ... IDK if I should be happy or ashamed :pfff:

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
I think the biggest reason for people not to upgrade immediately is the usual 'early-adoption' problems. Most of these have already been mentioned such as immature motherboard designs, BIOS etc. It's the same with any new technology though, you always get early adopters and you always get the people who prefer to wait and see what pans out. Probably the majority of us feel that it would be more 'sensible' long term to wait for more mature, refined designs etc. but sometimes being an enthusiast overcomes what we class as 'sensible' ;)

I've personally never been an early adopter of anything and I'm perfectly happy with the performance of my system as it is. It meets my needs anyway!

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Those of us needing <=4 cores will be sad they waited. :)

However, SB is going to be overkill for most gamers that aren't FPSecond lovers. (considering GTX 580 sli is overkill for any game [hell even 5870 crossfire] thanks to poor developing!)

willmalcom

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
The reason I like > FPS in my shooters is that in DoDs (competitive) and css > FPS = better shot reg (cause the netcode sux) ... it doesn't make as big a difference in BC2 for me because the netcode is good ... but I can't wait to play it @ 5ghz also :)

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Oh a reason to wait,

Intel is using gimped PCIe lanes in 1155, like 1156. LGA2011 (or BD) may tickle fancies if *nF200 1155 boards don't (assuming you need the lanes).

For those who don't know, nF200 is a Nvidia bridge chip that doubles the PCIe lanes, giving you 32 lanes usable for GPUs.

willmalcom

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010

From what I understand it wont make that big of a difference in dual card set ups. So like you said, it is contingent on needing the lanes.

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
You're a very smart and lucky guy Will.

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008

Totally agree, if CSS gets under 200FPS I'm unhappy (it's usually maxed, on full settings). Source engine is pretty easy to max FPS on though. :)

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
If I get a Sandy Bridge CPU and keep my old PNY Quadro NVS 440 GPU with which I run 4 monitors for online stock and currency trading, will that cause a problem for the SB CPU?

Any opinions on a good MOBO for the SB 15 2500 yet? I like ASUS and am thinking some version of a P67 mobo.

I'm not a gamer.

Thanks.