Sign in with
Your question
Solved

!~First Build Help~!

Last response: in Systems
May 11, 2010 7:03:18 PM

I hope this is alright, I made the image. Or should I edit and use the form in *How To Ask For New Build Advice*.

This will be my first ever build. Anything I need? Such as those wrist things?

I have also read about the Dead Pixel in the 23.6" Monitor along with some of the other Asus monitors. Here is my build image. ANY suggestions are totally welcome! A better mouse? A better keyboard? Cheaper build? More upgrade proof?

I want to thank everyone for helping!

More about : build

Best solution

a b C Monitor
May 11, 2010 7:21:06 PM

It looks alright, but I have a few changes.

First, unless you really like how the HAF looks (and it's a great case), the Antec 902 is about $30 cheaper after rebate and shipping. It's another great case that will easily fit the 5870.

Second, I'd get a much cheaper board. The 890 chipset boards are expensive and don't really give you anything extra. I recommend the Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 (combo with GPU). That will save you $90 or so.

Third, I'd get a little faster RAM. Here's some great G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 for only a little more.

Fourth, the extra case fan is completely unnecessary, regardless of what case you buy. You simply won't need it.

Finally, unless you're trying for a massive overclock, the termal paste is unnecessary.
May 11, 2010 7:22:38 PM

Yeah, I'd recommend a better mouse and keyboard.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I've got a cool backlit Saitek keyboard too, but I think Newegg is out at the moment :( 

I reckon if you're gonna spend the time and effort into making your own machine, might as well make the controls looks sweet :) 

Also, why AMD and not Intel?
m
l
Related resources
a b C Monitor
May 11, 2010 7:36:41 PM

It's probably AMD because with about $1,300 for the tower alone Intel won't give you the best build. Also, building with Intel right now would leave you with no upgrade path, as the next CPUs are going to be on new sockets (LGA1155 and LGA1365).
m
l
May 11, 2010 9:07:02 PM

MadAdmiral,

Thanks for the suggestions! As for the Motherboard, I was mainly make some better AMD X6 CPU's, it would be most compatible? The thermal paste is there for, well I thought you had to have some if you get another Cooler. Could I get the CPU to 3.4-3.6GHz? I read some were a person should at least try a little over clocking.

Tech,

I was seriously considering that Mouse. 5 Buttons sound awesome, however, will I actually need them?
m
l
a b C Monitor
May 11, 2010 9:15:11 PM

All AM3 boards will be compatible, just some may need a BIOS upgrade. It's not that big of a deal. It's certainly not something to pay a lot extra for. Also, unless you're using a lot of productivity apps, you won't benefit from the extra two cores.

Most HSF come with termal paste preapplied, so you don't need any unless you remove it later. You should be able to overclock to that level easily without the thermal paste. You may start needing the paste if you're trying to get it above 4.0 GHz, but I'd be surprised then. Great thermal paste typically only lowers temps by a few degrees, so it's usually not worth it.
m
l
May 11, 2010 10:33:51 PM

MadAdmiral,

I may TRY overclocking if it is new-user-friendly. =P So what is the difference really in the new 890FX boards? I thought because, well, that they are rather new means more compatible. Plus, no clue on how to flash Bios.

So the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus, should have some thermal paste already on it?

Oh also, I have a question with new egg. When dealing with combos, say a part of it has Free-Shipping and the other does not, etc. Do I still get the free shipping or because it being a Combo I will have to pay?
m
l
a b C Monitor
May 12, 2010 12:32:35 AM

The main difference is that the 890 boards have better onboard graphics and come ready with six core support. As for flashing the BIOS, the motherboard's manual will give detailed instructions.

Yes.

You get free shipping on the parts that say free shipping. So if you buy a combo, you only have to pay shipping on the part that doesn't have free shipping.
m
l
May 12, 2010 1:22:04 AM

MadAdmiral,

Thanks a lot! Is there any big difference in GPU brands?

Also, anything else that could be helpful? As for the parts listed, do I have to worry about compatibility.
m
l
a b C Monitor
May 12, 2010 2:44:33 AM

There isn't a huge difference in GPU brands. Some people tend to avoid HIS (poor customer service) and flock to XFX (excellent warranty). Technically, there is no difference among the brands at this time.

You don't have to worry about compatibility. Everything mentioned above is compatible.

I would take a look at several guides to building a PC just to get familiar with what to expect. It also doesn't hurt to look at some troubleshooting guides just in case.
m
l
May 12, 2010 8:36:19 PM

MadAdmiral,

Did not know that. I noticed that some of the XFX brands had "XXX" on them and things. Also, do you know if the Cooler Master 212+ has some Thermal Paste ready on it? Oh, one reason I went with AMD is because, well, cheaper and I have to buy all the components, even a Computer Desk.

One thing that I am alittle worried about is where to plug-in everything. Most of the time it should just fit at one place right?
m
l
a b C Monitor
May 12, 2010 8:40:37 PM

The XXX is just an overclocked model. All of XFX's cards will have the warranty.

I don't know if it comes with the paste preapplied, but it does come with some paste.
m
l
May 12, 2010 10:32:31 PM

MadAdmiral,

Thank you once again. Seems I got a good idea about the final parts. =D

Quick question, if I am only going to Overclock to say. 3.5-3.8 would the Stock cooler be just fine?
m
l
a b C Monitor
May 12, 2010 11:21:01 PM

I'd probably still go with the aftermarket cooler. It might not be necessary, but I wouldn't take the chance to save $20-30.
m
l
a b C Monitor
May 13, 2010 12:21:41 AM

Rebates aren't too bad. I haven't had one denied that shouldn't have been. As for how long they take, I've had ones come back within a month, while others have taken up to six. So I guess it depends.

As for the boards, both of them are overkill and unnecessary. I would grab the Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 for $50 less than either of those, and that's before the $15 rebate.
m
l
May 13, 2010 12:35:32 AM

Best answer selected by IllustriousValor.
m
l
May 13, 2010 3:16:51 AM

MadAdmiral,

I was looking at other cases. the Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced Is roughly $20.00 cheaper. The 5870 will fit, with roughly .5 inches left. Not sure if I could move the Bottom Harddrive cage and move the Video Card down and get more room. The 5970 may fit, not sure. Anyhow, the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Will fit in it with roughly around 2 inches left over. Then if I put a 120mm Fan on the case window. It would be around an Inch clearance between the two. Would that be to close?
m
l
a b C Monitor
May 13, 2010 12:10:03 PM

That would be fine. Another thing to look at is the combos. I know the 902 is in some great ones right now with some Antec PSUs. I'd see if that makes a difference to the total price.

Either case would be great though. Either go with whatever saves you money, or whichever one you like more.
m
l
!