Sign in with
Your question

How does i3 processor alot memory

Last response: in CPUs
July 17, 2010 11:00:56 PM

Hello,

I am definitely not computer savy. I have a new dell inspiron i3 laptop w/500G. I don't understand why my OS(C) drive is already showing 27G of only 58G memory used (all my files including music and photos saved here), while the (D) drive is showing only 7G of the 397 used. At this rate my less than 2 wk old computer could have the (c) drive filled in no time. Will it automatically enlarge as the memory is needed? I'm more than a little concerned because I just had my first Dell crash within 10 days and this is my second within a month.
Previosly I had a 7 yr old Toshiba Satelite and it was a totally different animal.
This one already ran checkdisc when I turned it on this am and I tought "Oh, no, here we go again!" What would cause that to happen? Sometimes I lose the scrollbar on the right side and have to navigate using pg up or down or the screen just freezes and I have to turn it off,
Any help is Greatly appreciated.

Jackie

More about : processor alot memory

a c 199 à CPUs
a b } Memory
July 17, 2010 11:58:34 PM

Interesting, normally your D would be the smaller backup drive and the C would be the primary windows partition. If you move your my music, photos, and documents folder over to the D drive you will have far more space for it. You might also want to give dell a call and find out if your D is supposed to be the larger partition, i dont think it is, normally they make it small and have it contain the recovery section so you have no reason to access the D and risk messing with the recovery partition.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b } Memory
July 18, 2010 2:25:50 PM

^+1. Agreed. Your D:\ drive should be smaller (for back ups) than the C:\ drive.

Quote:
At this rate my less than 2 wk old computer could have the (c) drive filled in no time. Will it automatically enlarge as the memory is needed?

No. But you can manually re-size the C:\ drive quite easily if running Win 7: http://www.nirmaltv.com/2009/05/12/how-to-resize-disk-p...
Basically, copy/move the stuff on D:\ , then delete that partition and then expand C:\.

Quote:

Previosly I had a 7 yr old Toshiba Satelite and it was a totally different animal.
This one already ran checkdisc when I turned it on this am and I tought "Oh, no, here we go again!" What would cause that to happen? Sometimes I lose the scrollbar on the right side and have to navigate using pg up or down or the screen just freezes and I have to turn it off,

Check disk should not run all the time, unless it was scheduled to do so. I never run check disk on my current builds unless I notice a problem. What OS was that? Causes could range from bad drivers to OS problems.
m
l
Related resources
!