Sign in with
Your question

Macbook Pro I5 vs I7

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 17, 2010 11:04:41 PM

Hello,
I'm starting med school and wanted to get a Macbook Pro. I'm torn whether to get the I5 or I7 processor - with my education discount, the I7 is $150 more. I would normally get it, but am not sure if it is worth it. I'm mostly doing internet, word/powerpoint, watching videos, maybe occasional photo editing (not major, jpg for now). I may however be running windows if required to for school programs. I heard the I7 may be a lot hotter and drain the battery, is that true? What would you suggest?

Beth

More about : macbook pro

a b à CPUs
July 18, 2010 8:46:06 AM

Hello and welcome to the forums
For your tasks i would recommend going with i5 because it suffices, and you have heard right,i7 runs hotter and drain the battery more(not very much though,it depends on the task you do)
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 18, 2010 10:06:52 AM

^ Not too much Maziar, this i7 is the 620M, essentially an i5 500M series with a bigger Turbo Boost. Don't think it's worth the $150 for the i7 620M which is a dual core. For what OP needs, the i5 MBP is fine.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
July 18, 2010 12:29:29 PM

Well i mentioned its not too much :D  according to the reviews and user reviews,the i7 one will run hotter, but like i said its not much hotter.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 18, 2010 1:09:18 PM

i wouldn't bother with the i7 they are using (as like Lmeow said, its the 620m) since it is a dual core and not a quad core, stick to the i5
m
l
!