Sign in with
Your question

XFX GTX280

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
April 12, 2010 8:22:50 AM

Hi all,

Been having problems with this card ever since I got it. Mainly heat issues, I think it's the overclocked XXX version or something if that makes a diffeence.

I've tried for months to find an answer to my problem but never had any. Basically this card overheats for me VERY quickly, 5 minutes on a game like CS Source, or something that's fairly graphics intensive and I'll start to see odd things on screen, then boom. I get kicked out of the game, get given the nvlmdkk.dll error (not sure the exact one but it's something like that) and have to restart my computer.

The warrenty has run out on the computer, and I honestly think I've been given the run around from the shop I got it from, I had done my research before buying it, went with the Antec 1200 for the big space for airflow, all the fans etc, have had all the cables moved to the side and out of the way, dusted almost monthly. It's been into the shop 3 different times, been there for weeks at a time and they've come back and told me there's nothing wrong with it. Come to the conclusion that haven't tested it and as long as they got their money they couldn't give a stuff.

Looking at the Rivatuner temp monitor, the card seems to idle about 42 degrees C, and in CS source it went up to 70-75 degrees C, this is where I'll start to get squares and all sorts appear on the screen and eventually crash. I've been told the big plastic case over the new cards tend to cause heating problems, which is why I'm having second thoughts about upgrading. All the new cards seem to have the case over it.

I'm going to go to another shop and buy the fastest fan I can get to stick into the side, but what I think this really needs it a fan blowing directly onto the card and something to suck all the hot air out, the stock fan in the card I don't think is powerful enough.

Does anyone have any tips? I've come to think that either the card hasn't been installed properly or it's been faulty since it left the factory. If the latter am I able to send the card back and get a new one? Computer is almost 1 and a half years old, was built by a computer shop on request as a custom built machine. Does that have any effect on if I could RMA it?

More about : xfx gtx280

a b U Graphics card
April 12, 2010 8:33:34 AM

Well, 75C is actually normal for GTX 280 cards AFAIK, the GTX 280 chip was the biggest ever produced by TSMC, IIRC. Try downloading some overclocking programs like RivaTuner and underclocking it by 50MHz on the core and 150MHz on the shaders.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
April 12, 2010 8:49:19 AM

Yeah I've thought about underclocking but I'm worried about performance loss. Will it be a big hit?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
April 12, 2010 9:22:01 AM

Quote:
Yeah I've thought about underclocking but I'm worried about performance loss. Will it be a big hit?

I use EVGA Precision to run my fans at 100%. I have two SLI'd w/ Accelero GTX 280 coolers on them. Mine now maxes out at 70 per card... 1 of course is right under the CPU heatsink, and the other is pretty much flush w/ the PSU. The cooling addition to the card consumes 3 slots! so if you are only going to use 1 and have enough space, that would be a good idea. Before i put the Accelero on there, i think i was hitting about 90-100 celcius. Supposidly the top is 105, then you need to be careful after that.

Also w/ EVGA Precision, you can over/underclock ur card... and what drivers are you running btw? There was a specific driver that caused cards to overheat... i forgot which one. 196.75?
a c 126 U Graphics card
April 12, 2010 9:22:12 AM

It should be stable if you haven't already overclocked it yourself, and 75C is normal. 90C and you should start worrying.

Can you list the full system specs please, I'm most interested in what powersupply it has.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
April 12, 2010 9:55:19 AM

As far as system specs go It's got an E8500, 8gb of OCZ 1100mhz ram (I think, been a long while since I looked into the technical side of things) PSU is a 1000W Corsair something (has the blue sticker on it anyway) as far at the Motherboard is concerned I can't remember. And the box is locked away in the wardrobe which has a ton of stuff in front of it which I can't be bothered moving.

What's thet directx spec list command/program again?

Haven't overclocked it myself, never had the know how to do it.

The card's mounted right below the CPU fan/heatsink, probably not the best place for it but that's where they put the card.

Did a little read up on the plastic case on the card, it's there to direct the head right out the back. Seems a bit silly that all the heat is forced out the back in a small space/vent when there's 2 big fans sitting right above the card that could suck out the heat just as good.
a c 126 U Graphics card
April 12, 2010 10:00:07 AM

I would RMA the card, seems to me that the card isn't stable because of its factory overclock. Like I said before 75C is fine so its not a heat issue, and your PSU is more than enough for your PC.
a b U Graphics card
April 12, 2010 10:06:16 AM

Quote:
As far as system specs go It's got an E8500, 8gb of OCZ 1100mhz ram (I think, been a long while since I looked into the technical side of things) PSU is a 1000W Corsair something (has the blue sticker on it anyway) as far at the Motherboard is concerned I can't remember. And the box is locked away in the wardrobe which has a ton of stuff in front of it which I can't be bothered moving.

The card's mounted right below the CPU fan/heatsink, probably not the best place for it but that's where they put the card.

Did a little read up on the plastic case on the card, it's there to direct the head right out the back. Seems a bit silly that all the heat is forced out the back in a small space/vent when there's 2 big fans sitting right above the card that could suck out the heat just as good.

Lol yep, that little grate on the back of the card, all the heat comes out there.... pffft my arse! Heh!
Anyway, it is possible not stable do to the overclock like fatal is saying.
April 12, 2010 10:27:12 AM

the best thing would be to RMA the card back. Me, I can Play Source with an 8400 GS(BAckup) at about 50 FPS. this prob must be because of the factory overclock. But honestly i ran the GT 240 XXX edition with only one fan on the chassis and the fan on GPU removed and believe me it never went more than 60C. XFX is a good brand but they have crap customer service and i have experienced that. Youve got everything allright (except the motherboard which you cannot tell of course) but still..............................................you might want to check the motherboard box. It is worth moving it before you go and spend tons of dollars when the problem is repairable. ;-)
April 12, 2010 1:00:34 PM

Quote:

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
April 12, 2010 1:07:14 PM

Went one better and found the receipt with all the parts listed that were put in the machine. Motherboard is an EVGA 780i SLI.

So my next question is, am I able to RMA the card after the year and a half I've had it, and having a shop install it for me? Honestly I don't trust myself too much going into the machine and taking it out either.
a b U Graphics card
April 13, 2010 9:42:25 AM

Quote:
Went one better and found the receipt with all the parts listed that were put in the machine. Motherboard is an EVGA 780i SLI.

So my next question is, am I able to RMA the card after the year and a half I've had it, and having a shop install it for me? Honestly I don't trust myself too much going into the machine and taking it out either.

as long as you have the warranty you should be fine. As far as taking it out, you know anyone that is comfortable working w/ computers? If not, well i guess its time for you to start i would say.
a c 126 U Graphics card
April 13, 2010 9:57:51 AM

Its really easy, just open the side of the case, Disconnect the power leads connected to the GTX280, Unscrew it from the PCI-E brackets at the rear of the case (Oh, make sure to disconnect the monitor cable as well ). I would try an avoid touching the PCB and just hold the card via the plastic shell, give it alittle wiggle (should come right out) and Bobs your uncle, fanny's your aunt, you've uninstalled your GTX280.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
April 13, 2010 10:05:23 AM

I'm thinking parts warranty, everything in the machine is only a year and a half old. The shop who built it for me gave a one year warranty on their work. Isn't it comething like 3 years parts warranty from XFX? So long as it hasn't been caused by user overclocking etc?
!