Questioin on building new rig? time???

foxmulder13

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
How long does it take to build new build??? from start to finish....power supply to bios to loading Windows 7 and adding drivers??
Thanks for general time(s)

Solution
The first few times I did it took longer than it does now. Of course, Installing windows and software also use to take longer back then :D. I spent about 3 hours putting my current computer together the first time. I always use arctic silver on my own builds, but if I'm slapping it together for someone else I spend considerably less time on it :D. Anyway, since then my computer has been incrementally upgraded. If you've never put together a computer before it's o.k if it takes you 4-5hrs, but after a few times it should only take you 2-3 depending on how much time you spend being picky on things like cabling and applying thermal paste.

fastx21

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
As said. I can probably bang out the whole thing in <hour but for new people I guess you should take your time and triple check everything. The windows installation alone will take about an hour so factor that in. Then comes the win with drivers, programs and whatnot.

asteldian

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
I think it took me about 5 hours to build my first PC! I put parts together then realised due to where things were situated on the motherboard and the big heatsink I had I needed to take things off again, the cable from HDD to mobo was not long enough so I had to adjust the positioning on it, reading the mobo instructions which at the time I didn't really understand. It was a slow process - then again I had done no reading up on it, I just went in completely blind so to speak.

Otherwise, yeah, 3 or less hours depending on how fast you do things - I still take a while because I pull out all the parts, admire them for a bit, decide on where to start :)

The first few times I did it took longer than it does now. Of course, Installing windows and software also use to take longer back then :D. I spent about 3 hours putting my current computer together the first time. I always use arctic silver on my own builds, but if I'm slapping it together for someone else I spend considerably less time on it :D. Anyway, since then my computer has been incrementally upgraded. If you've never put together a computer before it's o.k if it takes you 4-5hrs, but after a few times it should only take you 2-3 depending on how much time you spend being picky on things like cabling and applying thermal paste.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS