Looking for some input on newbie build

jdx

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Next couple of weeks

BUDGET RANGE: Between $700-$800 BEFORE rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: mild gaming (Eve Online, The Old Republic in 2011), everyday use, Hulu + Netflix, possible hardcore gaming eventually (I've been a console guy for a long time. May make the switch.)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, speakers, OS, monitor

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg, microcenter, amazon, whatever

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: US

PARTS PREFERENCES: reputable but otherwise none

OVERCLOCKING: Yes

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1440x900 currently, 1900x1080 possibly in the future

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I've got a basic build here. I'm just looking for input, possible alternatives, better deals, possible problems (need more power, etc.).

Here's what I have, plus a CM Hyper 212+ that I'm getting from the local Microcenter:

checkout.png

I'm wondering if the Phenom II X2 555 is a better option than the X4 955 for what I want to do with my build. I'm also concerned about wattage because I have no idea what this build will require power-wise. Thanks for any input!

jbakerlent

Distinguished
Welcome to the forum. Looks nice overall, but here's a few recommendations. I would not get that 5770 (Powercolor + only 512mb). The big change I would make though is to switch the 555 out for a 955 since it's within your budget, or a 440 if you want to spend less. I realize that you plan on overclocking, but the 440 is competent at this as well, has an extra core, and can even be unlocked into a quad.

jdx

Distinguished
May 11, 2010

bombat1994

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
you would be better off getting a 790x board it is cheaper and faster except it doesnt have intergrated graphics which since you have a graphics card will not be needed.

i would suggest getting the 955 instead you would be much better off with the quadcore and i would be better in the long run

get and xfx radeon 5770 1GB it will be better when you upgrade your moniter.

everything else looks alright although a 500G hardrive might be a bit small WD 1.5TB harddrives are only $115 here in australia so they are very nicely priced.

otherwise pretty good build

jdx

Distinguished
May 11, 2010

jdx

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
I'm good with the 500GB hdd.

I've been thoroughly talked out of the 555, but now it has become 440 vs. 955. I've read that MMO's are more CPU-intensive than other games. Truth to this? If so, maybe the extra money for the 955 is worth it.

I'm getting the sense that my mobo is overkill? How does my current mobo compare to this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131402&cm_re=790x-_-13-131-402-_-Product

Thanks, everybody, for the input.

Edit: We seem to be posting at the same time, and nearly the same thing. That board will save me a good chunk of change, but how important is USB 3.0 and SATA 6gb/s?

jbakerlent

Distinguished
^LOL. Well, the new SATA is not really important at all in your case. USB 3.0, it's hard to say. One thing though, you can buy an add-in card later on if you settle on the 790X. The 890GX is not overkill, but being brand new it is a bit overpriced compared to the 790 series.