How to reduce hard drive noise?

Cs342

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
Recently I started noticing some grinding noises coming from my hard drives (2 Seagate Barracuda 1TB drives in RAID 0). I don't think I these noises were present when I first bought the drives, although I can't be certain, but after doing a quick hardware change(moving some fans around) I started noticing my hard drives making noises. I'm sure this isn't related to the hardware change. Is there any way to get rid of hard drive noise? I am using a Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

JKatwyopc

Distinguished
I would suggest you do some troubleshooting first. You need to figure out exactly where the sound is coming from.

BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ELSE create a system backup with a system image to a separate hard drive or at least to a set of DVD's.

First check your fans by just stopping them with your finger (carefully). If the sound stops there's your problem. Replace any bad fans as necessary.

Get a metal rod and place one end of it on the hard drive you think is causing the problem, put the other end in your ear and listen for excessive noise. A steady hum is probably normal but any grinding, squealing or crunching sound would indicate a problem. Note: when the heads move you will hear small clicking sounds because the heads move very rapidly-also normal. Chances are one drive will be making substantially more noise than the other. If you identify a failing drive, get a new one of the same type and replace the bad drive.

This will help you identify exactly what is causing the noise. My suspicion is that you have a bad fan.

Cs342

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
I have owned a noisy hard drive before, and the sound I am noticing sounds very similar to that. Apparently hard drive noise is normal, but I would like to know how to get rid of it. I ran a set of HDD tests using SeaTools and my drive passed all of them, so there shouldn't be anything wrong with the drive.

Cs342

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
I have a CM 690 II and am not overly eager about trying suspension... although I will if it's absolutely necessary. However, I would first like to see if there are any retail products that would eliminate hard drive noise (if the noise is even normal. I did not notice any noise when I first built the PC).

lycros

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
You should check out Automatic Acoustic Management (AAM)
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/terabyte-hitachi-acoustic,2084.html

I used a program on my home server that allowed me to change the setting on my HDDs, the clicking noise went away and there were no noticeable affect on HDD speed.

Also in the future, you can use a cardboard tube (like from an empty paper towel roll or tp roll) to help pinpoint any weird noises.