Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Internet Explorer the only part of my internet that works(!)?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
May 16, 2010 3:51:42 AM

Recently, I've run into a bit of a steep challenge. One of my computers, my i7 Desktop, has stopped working with Mozilla Firefox, Skype, IM, Chrome, Opera, IRC, Updates, Online Java, Flash and pretty much everything in between. However, there's one exception: Internet Explorer.

Internet Explorer is the only internet program that is actually working at the moment. I ran into this problem just the other night, and it still hasn't gone away. I don't know what's wrong, but I'm getting concerned.

Inside IE, Flash and Java don't work. However, sites load, and everything else seems to be great. I have a laptop that recieves internet connection fine with all browsers working. It seems this prboelm has come right after a BSoD coming right after a reboot after an installation of ZoneAlarm, leading me to believe it's my wireless network adapter or ZoneAlarm. However, in device manager, the card works fine and I'm recieving an internet connection. I've removed all traces of ZoneAlarm (So I think) and have gone back to Windows Defendor, Firewall and MS Security Essentials, yet the problem remains unfixed.

OS = Windows 7 64-Bit
Virus/Spyware Tests = No Results

If you guys have any tips or suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. I cannot adjust to life with no internet exception being only Internet Explorer - it's horrible -_-
May 16, 2010 6:29:49 AM

crosscut49 said:
Recently, I've run into a bit of a steep challenge. One of my computers, my i7 Desktop, has stopped working with Mozilla Firefox, Skype, IM, Chrome, Opera, IRC, Updates, Online Java, Flash and pretty much everything in between. However, there's one exception: Internet Explorer.

Internet Explorer is the only internet program that is actually working at the moment. I ran into this problem just the other night, and it still hasn't gone away. I don't know what's wrong, but I'm getting concerned.

Inside IE, Flash and Java don't work. However, sites load, and everything else seems to be great. I have a laptop that recieves internet connection fine with all browsers working. It seems this prboelm has come right after a BSoD coming right after a reboot after an installation of ZoneAlarm, leading me to believe it's my wireless network adapter or ZoneAlarm. However, in device manager, the card works fine and I'm recieving an internet connection. I've removed all traces of ZoneAlarm (So I think) and have gone back to Windows Defendor, Firewall and MS Security Essentials, yet the problem remains unfixed.

OS = Windows 7 64-Bit
Virus/Spyware Tests = No Results

If you guys have any tips or suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. I cannot adjust to life with no internet exception being only Internet Explorer - it's horrible -_-


[#0005ff]If you've created Exceptions in the Windows Firewall and still can't use certain programmes, turn the firewall off for two point five seconds or just long enough to see if it makes a difference. Also, check the firewall settings in the router's menus to see if anything has been added to exlusions by that installation of ZA.

Do you by any chance have any leftover traces of former Norton involvement in your security setup?
[/#000ff]
May 16, 2010 7:07:42 AM

Saga Lout said:
[#0005ff]If you've created Exceptions in the Windows Firewall and still can't use certain programmes, turn the firewall off for two point five seconds or just long enough to see if it makes a difference. Also, check the firewall settings in the router's menus to see if anything has been added to exlusions by that installation of ZA.

Do you by any chance have any leftover traces of former Norton involvement in your security setup?
[/#000ff]


I've never installed Norton Security. Disabling and Enabling the firewall didn't hav an affect on anything, and I don't see anything strange happening in the the router menu.
Related resources
May 16, 2010 7:18:51 AM

Figured it out. ZoneAlarm was improperly uninstalled, and therefore wasn't completely ridden off the system. I found a ZoneAlarm cleaner tool that did the trick. Thanks for the help! :D 
May 17, 2010 7:03:08 AM

crosscut49 said:
Figured it out. ZoneAlarm was improperly uninstalled, and therefore wasn't completely ridden off the system. I found a ZoneAlarm cleaner tool that did the trick. Thanks for the help! :D 


[#0005ff]And thanks to you for posting that information - maybe ZA is going to prove as difficult to shift as Norton itself which clings on even after its own Removal Tool has run. The first thing that happens after the restart is a trip to the Symantec site to persuade you to think again and large folders remain in Programme Files/Data and all sorts of other places.[/#000ff]
!