Sign in with
Your question

What do you think?

Last response: in Systems
May 11, 2010 11:24:42 PM

I am planning to build a new system. Will be on all the time 24/7 analyzing video all the time as well as office work and other things. Games are not so important but 2D performance is. It needs to be a reliable and quiet system. Lots of addons like scanner, printer's. In summer it can get hot in the room. I was thinking of the following:

Zalman Z-Machine LQ-1000 watercooling case (for the processor)
Intel® Core™ i7-930 Processor (overclocked if more power is needed)
Asus P6X58D-E
Intel X25M G2 Postville, MLC-Chips, 334nm 80 or 160 GB for OS + video I am working on
Western Digital caviar black 2 TB for storage.
Plextor PX-880SA DVD recorder
Asus BRAVO 220 SILENT/DI/1GD2(LP) fanless graphics card = quiet with not too high power consumption and hopefully decent performance.
Zalman ZM600-HP power supply (supposed to be a quiet high quality powersupply)
Kingston HyperX 3GB DDR3-1866 Tri-Kit = hopefully a quality kit allowing for overclocking at 1,5 volt giving no heat problems.
Sharkoon SATA QuickPort Intern 1-Bay (for hot swapping bare backup HDD's, should be faster than usb3)

I might add a second monitor later on just for office applications with another (cheap) fanless graphic card consuming below 19 watts.

Any suggestions?

More about : question

May 11, 2010 11:41:17 PM

hmm a ati hd 5850?
its fine. i dont know with the water cooling. and ssd. plus get a CORSAIR psu and a gskill ram. just my opinions
m
l
May 12, 2010 1:07:44 AM

I think you need to have a more descriptive thread title next time. ;) 

Build looks solid. If you are looking for quiet, I would recommend a Caviar Green over a Caviar Black; you'll have a slight performance hit for a noise level and power consumption improvement.

m
l
Related resources
May 12, 2010 2:59:13 PM

Hmm seeing across enthusiast forums how even the locked multi 1055T Thuban clocks very well and since your only requirement for video is 2-D the AMD options would, if paired with the "Thuban worthy" out of the box 800 series IGP chipset offer you precisely this: considerable CPU processing power, cabaple IGP for your tasks and yes dual monitors via 1 x Analogue (VGA) and 1 x Digital (HDMI/DVI)

Add in a Sandforce based SSD?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Review
http://www.guru3d.com/article/ocz-vertex-2-ssd-review/
m
l
May 13, 2010 12:01:43 PM

xurwin said:
hmm a ati hd 5850?
its fine. i dont know with the water cooling. and ssd. plus get a CORSAIR psu and a gskill ram. just my opinions

I believe I read a test on tomshardware that 58XX have a poor 2D performance.

I am new to watercooling but the case looks good.

I looked up the CORSAIR psu. I could find a 550 watt Corsair CMPSU-550VX which is even cheaper than the zalman. I can find no comparisons anywhere on sound levels. Do you think it is quieter, stands heat better, better built or is there another reason one of both is better?

I looked up the gskill ram. Sounds like great RAM. The cooling fins must make it great for a low airflow environment. I am still looking where I can buy it in europe though.
m
l
May 13, 2010 1:46:38 PM

Aktariel said:
I think you need to have a more descriptive thread title next time. ;) 

Build looks solid. If you are looking for quiet, I would recommend a Caviar Green over a Caviar Black; you'll have a slight performance hit for a noise level and power consumption improvement.

I thought of the caviar black because of the superior performance.
The caviar green indeed has lower heat and lower noise when at work (higher noise in idle)
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/HDD-6Gbit,2528.html

The Seagate barracude XT 2TB (ST32000641AS ) looks good too in this test noise wise while still having high performance. My vendor hives however a very high power consumption for this drive (up to a whopping 33,8 watts) , much higher than toms hardware measured.

Maybe performance of the caviar green is enough? That is always hard to tell in advance. I do lots of random writes a second (minimum of 20 per second) which is harder to tell than throughput comparisons.
m
l
May 13, 2010 2:02:36 PM

batuchka said:
Hmm seeing across enthusiast forums how even the locked multi 1055T Thuban clocks very well and since your only requirement for video is 2-D the AMD options would, if paired with the "Thuban worthy" out of the box 800 series IGP chipset offer you precisely this: considerable CPU processing power, cabaple IGP for your tasks and yes dual monitors via 1 x Analogue (VGA) and 1 x Digital (HDMI/DVI)

Add in a Sandforce based SSD?

Review

Price wise the AMD looks very good. I must look into that.

I was looking in the intel because it has high performance and there already is a 6 core AES capable processor upgrade so in 2 years time I might get a nice cheap processor upgrade. Will still investigate the AMD option.

According to tomshardware, power consumption rises so much with dual monitors and gives difficulties with different monitor resolutions that an extra graphics card for a future upgrade sounds best.

The drive is almost double the price per GB which seems a little steep. I did not see one to one comparison regarding to random small writes. The nice thing about the intel is tha in toms hardware test it seemed to have a lowest write performance of 45 MB/s under any circumstance.
m
l
!