Sign in with
Your question

Water spilled on laptop pc works but some keys type wrong characters. R eplaced

Last response: in Components
July 18, 2010 2:55:55 AM

water spilled on laptop -pc works but some keys type wrong characters-replaced keyboard,and it still has the same error
July 18, 2010 3:00:27 AM

Is it still under warranty?
July 18, 2010 3:02:09 AM

no it is not, erased hard drive and reloaded Vista, same issue. Motherboard?
Related resources
July 18, 2010 5:56:16 AM

I doubt because it boots up and works. Might have fried the keyboard though. Cheapest option honestly before you say motherboard, hop on ebay, and find a keyboard for it, usually you can pick them up for a few bucks on there. Replace that, and see if it'll work better for you. If not, you don't have much back into it.
July 18, 2010 1:54:32 PM

Quote:
Dude, your an Ohio U grad and you can't even read that the guy said he already replaced the keyboard? :heink: 

HAHAHAHAHA, good point! :lol:  But if you did everything you say correctly, my guess is the motherboard. The motherboard is usually right under the keyboard, and they are very easily damaged by water.
July 19, 2010 12:33:25 AM

Yeah yeah, must have read right over that....if you changed the keyboard, then sadly enough, I would guess the motherboard. They don't care for water. How old is it? I've seen laptops not even working go on ebay for like 80-100 bucks.
July 19, 2010 9:11:19 PM

Yeah guys thanx for your input. This is not my laptop,is a sis-in-law's. However,it is not very old at all. Dual core AMD,3 gig of ram.
She has a tough decision to make. New board is near 250.00 and I would guess that is about a third of value when unit was new.
!