Sign in with
Your question

Water spilled on laptop pc works but some keys type wrong characters. R eplaced

Last response: in Components
July 18, 2010 2:55:55 AM

water spilled on laptop -pc works but some keys type wrong characters-replaced keyboard,and it still has the same error
July 18, 2010 3:00:27 AM

Is it still under warranty?
m
l
July 18, 2010 3:02:09 AM

no it is not, erased hard drive and reloaded Vista, same issue. Motherboard?
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 18, 2010 5:56:16 AM

I doubt because it boots up and works. Might have fried the keyboard though. Cheapest option honestly before you say motherboard, hop on ebay, and find a keyboard for it, usually you can pick them up for a few bucks on there. Replace that, and see if it'll work better for you. If not, you don't have much back into it.
m
l
July 18, 2010 1:54:32 PM

Quote:
Dude, your an Ohio U grad and you can't even read that the guy said he already replaced the keyboard? :heink: 

HAHAHAHAHA, good point! :lol:  But if you did everything you say correctly, my guess is the motherboard. The motherboard is usually right under the keyboard, and they are very easily damaged by water.
m
l
July 19, 2010 12:33:25 AM

Yeah yeah, must have read right over that....if you changed the keyboard, then sadly enough, I would guess the motherboard. They don't care for water. How old is it? I've seen laptops not even working go on ebay for like 80-100 bucks.
m
l
July 19, 2010 9:11:19 PM

Yeah guys thanx for your input. This is not my laptop,is a sis-in-law's. However,it is not very old at all. Dual core AMD,3 gig of ram.
She has a tough decision to make. New board is near 250.00 and I would guess that is about a third of value when unit was new.
m
l
!