RAM - G. SKILL Ripjaw 4GB (2GBx2)
PSU - OCZ Modular 600W
GPU - ASUS EAF5850
Case - Centurion 5 CAC
HDD - Western Digital 640GB

Concerns? ZOMG THAT'S NOT GUNNA FIT, THATS A POS, etc etc
15 answers Last reply
More about 5850 advice
  1. Oh and a follow up question. Do I need to buy a Heatsink and fan for the CPU or does the i5-750 come with a decent one?
  2. maybe a different HDD like the samsung f3 500g or 1tb or the seagate 1tb cheaper drives with same/faster speeds.

seems like a solid build
  3. I would purchase the Cooler Master Hyoer 212 Plus for your heat sink. It is worth the cost to performance and a great buy, if you plan to overclock.

Make sure your G.SKILL is the Cas7 version.

Switch your hard drive to the Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB. It is cheaper and faster.

I would go with the Antec 300 Illusion at that price range of cases and get the combo with the Antec EarthWatts EA-650 for a great combo.
  4. Cas7? I'm not sure what that entails...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231303

That is the ram I was looking at. Great tips btw!
  5. Cas7 equals your RAM's timings with lower being better. You made the right choice with the RAM you linked... They were the Cas7 RAM I made reference to.
  6. CAS7 refers to the RAM's latencies. That's the 7-8-7-24-2N numbers in the set you linked above. That set if fine. And +1 to tecmo's advice.

Edit: ^ Didn't see..
  7. By that he means get a ram with a cas7 rating. Basically just faster ram for a few bucks more.

But everything tecmo34 said and you might also want to consider a case like the Haf 922. It's large, looks good and has efficient cooling. Plus it's only like <$100 and can fit any of the largest video cards out right now.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119197&cm_re=haf_922-_-11-119-197-_-Product
  8. any cases similar to the three hundred illusion that arent all glow-y? :P I know I could replace the fans..
  9. Honestly you could just get hte antec 300 and cut the connections on the fan leds. Literally grab a small clipper plier and cut the led legs. But I kind of like the way it looks.

Also the Haf 922 is the same way but there is an off button for the front fan led :)
  10. Is the antec 300 a quality product besides the gaudy fans? Will a 5850 sit in in comfortably?
  11. Yes & Yes...

If you want, you can look at the original Cooler Master RC-690, which is around $70. It is bigger than the Antec 300 & not as flashy with lights. :)

The Antec 300 Illusion is sweet looking though when your build is complete & pretty quite for all the fans.

edit: edited to include link to the CM RC-690 case.
  12. word word word

You guys changed my mind on the case and HDD, grats for that! Now go get your cut! :P
  13. What case did you go with??

My typical cut is 20% from Newegg, so buy the more expensive components... Can I interest you in an i7 980X build?? :lol: :D
  14. Im going to go with the antec 300 illusion. I will remind me of my dearly departed old desktop. Glowing fans annoy me when I play in the dark, but it sounds like a rocking case.
  15. Very nice case. Not huge, but if everything fits, that is a good thing. Keeps my OCed system cool even with all the fans on the lowest setting. Very quiet then too. Excellent build quality in my opinion, and a very easy to clean (and decently effective but unobstructive) filter.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product