heero672

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
This might sound like a silly question.

My dad and I built a system with a LGA 775 Motherboard and a Pentium D processor when I was younger, I'm looking to upgrade the processor to a Core2 Doe, the motherboards paper work says the max it supports is Pentium D and Celeron D processors I'm assuming that is because that was the only LGA 775 processors out at the time.

So my questions is as long as it the same socket type the processor should work?

Thanks in advance
Jon

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Nope. If the motherboard is too old, it simply won't work with the CPU. It needs to have the ability to process two cores on the CPU, otherwise, I don't know, it will probably only pick up a single core to work with, or won't work at all.

Toxxyc, this is the second post I've read in the last 5 minutes where you gave the person the wrong information. Don't bother answering someone's question if you have no idea what your talking about.

The Pentium and Celeron D ARE DUAL CORE CPU's and your telling him he can only upgrade to a single core? LOL

The last post you replied to you the guy said he need a crossfire p67 and you recommended one that DOES NOT do true crossfire. STOP giving people wrong advice.

To Heero, it depends. Not all s775 cpu's will work on all s775 motherboards. Need to know the make and model of motherboard to look up the cpu support list, or you can do this yourself on the manufacturers website. Some s775 mobo's do not support newer 45nm cpu's, some do. Either way it will likely require a bios update.

Most likely you can at least upgrade to a 65nm C2D if you can find one. Hopefully your board supports 45nm C2D and C2Q.

heero672

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
Thanks for the response GeekApproved

Elitegroup C19-A SLI (V1.0A) is the motherboard

and the processor that I'm trying to use is Core 2 Due processor E7500

I did look on the manufacturers website and it does not list any Core 2 Duos but it says at the top At Time of Writing.

Just wanting a second opinion to make sure before I return the Core 2 Duo.

Thanks

Edit: I tested the processor and it did not work, I have been doing some research and there are a few Core 2 Dous I can get if I can find them

What in your opinion would be my best options for a 65nm processor?

I would never buy a ECS motherboard because their support sucks. There has never been a bios update released for that motherboard, which is amazing to me.

If you were going to try a 65nm C2D, the E6300/6400/6600 is the way to go. I had a E6300 and it was very overclockable, over 3ghz.

My friend had E6300 on a Nforce 4 SLI motherboard, but I can't say for sure if it will work on your board but it probably will.

For about $100 you could get a 45nm Wolfdale Celeron dual core E3300 and a motherboard though.

http://www.buy.com/prod/intel-celeron-dual-core-e3300-2-5ghz-processor-2-5ghz-800mhz-fsb-1mb/q/loc/101/211966508.html

These overclock very well too.