Sign in with
Your question

Card not listed - need opinions

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 12, 2010 2:03:54 PM

I have 2 Nvidia 8500 GTS 512MB in an SLI config on an Asus M3N72-D with an AMD Phenom 2.3 Ghz, 8GB ddr2 and W7. I cannot find this card in any chart - they are all either 256MB or not GTS. I am trying to figure out whether I should upgrade these cards; this is the first graphics setup that has ever been 'acceptable' in terms of playing the more demanding games. It handles COD5 and CODWAW fine, Borderlands fine, Far Cry 2, Crysis, etc., all fine, but -
figuring out the Nvidia nomenclatures and numbering system is insane! Model numbers don't seem to have any rhyme or reason to them.
The Nvidia 8500 GT 256MB gets a rating (using the first benchmark chart) a 2528; an 8800GTS 512MB gets a 15128, almost six times as high; finally the GTX 285 SLI tops out at 24533!
Am I missing all that much being stuck back in the 8500s? What budget-conscious recommendations do you have?
Thanks,
Promytius

More about : card listed opinions

a b Î Nvidia
April 12, 2010 4:09:16 PM

So, tell us your current specs including monitor, also how much do u want to spend...
We will suggest a better card for u...
If u are still happy with that card then just continue using it... :) 
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
April 12, 2010 4:41:28 PM

The 8500cards are not meant for gaming. nVidia's budget gaming begins at the x6xx and x8xx.

It's mighty time you upgrade. I'd say the 8500GTS SLI is probably equal to a 9600GT or an HD4670.
m
l
Related resources
April 12, 2010 5:41:06 PM

wa1 said:
So, tell us your current specs including monitor, also how much do u want to spend...
We will suggest a better card for u...
If u are still happy with that card then just continue using it... :) 

Perhaps you misread my post, sorry (I also posted my system in my profile); I have 2 TWO 8500GTS 512MB cards in SLI, and two Acer X223W monitors; since shadow187 (and thanks!) says I should upgrade, I can't imagine how good the graphics will look with an upgrade, as I am already impressed with these two, but after looking at the graphs, I realized these are not the speed demons I thought they were. I want to stay with Nvidia, have had just the worst luck with ATI, and while I don't need to be on tne cutting edge of video, I would like to upgrade so that I can use them for a long time, as money is tight. So what is the current, most popular gaming video card? Or what's best for me, given my Phenom CPU?
Thanks!
m
l
!