Massive storage (6-8 TB) MEDIA SERVER

G

Hello,
I have between 1,200 and 1,500 feature length movies on DVD. I would like to build a Media Server with MASSIVE storage to handle the estimated 6-8TB of media. I would also like to be able to easily swap-out drives, as needed. I need to be able to have a DVD drive to rip additional movies too. I would like to stay under $1,000. I would also like to be able to have a mirrored server to protect against data loss. I am not a gamer and don't care about gaming, but it might be cool to be able to stream my content over the Internet, if that is at all feasible. What do you experts say? Is it possible? What hardware/software would you include?

You'd have better luck asking in the server forum. I'm already going to hazard a guess that $1,000 is a little low to get this kind of build. The HDDs alone will cost you around $700 for 8 TB. You'll still need some kind of case and PSU, which that'll likely add another $100-150. Then you'll need RAM and an OS, which together will cost you between $150-250, depending on the amount of RAM. Right there you're already at $1,000 and you haven't even got a CPU or board yet.

snowgoer1998

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
If you're in the United States, you do realize that streaming DVD's over the internet is HIGHLY illegal....right???

Now, if you want to back up your collection for safe keeping...that's another matter