Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New Motherboard wont boot up

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • RAM
  • Boot
  • Product
Last response: in Motherboards
Share
January 28, 2011 6:02:37 AM

Hi guys i just upgraded to new motherboard Gigabyte MA74GM-S2 Motherboard , cpu is AMD X2 250 ... 1 Gb DDR 2 ram .300 watts of psu . ok when i turn on the computor i get one beep ....get a solid green light ..then the red light starts flashing and ican here the HDD kick in ....and start reading ...then i get another beep 37 sec from the first ...but no boot up screen ....next 40 odd sec i get another single beep..still no boot up or video signal ...so i removed the Ram ....iturned power back on got continuos beeping ..put ram into another computor ...and it works ....fine ...unsure where to go from here or what to do Help ..!!!!! :fou:  thanks

More about : motherboard wont boot

a b V Motherboard
January 28, 2011 2:06:24 PM

1gb ddr2? What OS are you using? Are you aware your supposed to be running your ram in dual channel mode, meaning 2 sticks?

What does your motherboard manual say about the beep codes?

Did you plug in the cpu power connector from psu to motherboard?

Did you format the hdd before installing new motherboard?

Did you install an operating system on the hdd?

a c 117 V Motherboard
January 28, 2011 3:04:45 PM

The following Award BIOS beep code descriptions may help you identify possible computer problems.
(For reference only.)
1 short: System boots successfully
2 short: CMOS setting error
1 long, 1 short: Memory or motherboard error
1 long, 2 short: Monitor or graphics card error
1 long, 3 short: Keyboard error
1 long, 9 short: BIOS ROM error
Continuous long beeps: Graphics card not inserted properly
Continuous short beeps: Power error
Related resources
a c 111 V Motherboard
January 28, 2011 4:01:00 PM

Contrary to GeekApproved's post, you don't need to enable dual channel to get your display working. Also, the OS you have installed on the hdd is irrelevant. You can boot w/o a hard drive and still get a display. The only thing that would happen is an error message during POST; something to the effect of 'no boot device found'.

If you haven't done so already, please work through our standard troubleshooting guide, by following the link in my signature. This guide was designed to address the most common reasons for a "no boot" or "no display" concern.

Note that there is a link to jsc's breadboarding guide at the end of the guide. If you don't find any plausible solutions from the checklist, try the breadboarding guide. If you have a case short, it will become apparent when you breadboard.

Good luck.
January 28, 2011 5:12:30 PM

thanx guys il go through everything and repost asap :D 
January 28, 2011 8:34:55 PM

geekapproved said:
1gb ddr2? What OS are you using? Are you aware your supposed to be running your ram in dual channel mode, meaning 2 sticks?

What does your motherboard manual say about the beep codes?

Did you plug in the cpu power connector from psu to motherboard?

Did you format the hdd before installing new motherboard?

Did you install an operating system on the hdd?


As far as im aware it been formatted ..another HDD has xp on it ...the old HDD Cooked everything ...so is now to steps closer to the rubbish bin un less there is a way to extract from a corrupt HHD which i wont do ... ... 1 gb .. ddr 2 pc 800 ram ...not sure on the two stick theory ,,,or dual mode ..

yes to PCU conectors as there are two on this board ..

yes as far as im aware they are formatted

still getting one beep as things start i get another 35 sec later and then it repeats every 30 sec or so i get a short beep ...
January 28, 2011 8:58:51 PM

T_T said:
Contrary to GeekApproved's post, you don't need to enable dual channel to get your display working. Also, the OS you have installed on the hdd is irrelevant. You can boot w/o a hard drive and still get a display. The only thing that would happen is an error message during POST; something to the effect of 'no boot device found'.

If you haven't done so already, please work through our standard troubleshooting guide, by following the link in my signature. This guide was designed to address the most common reasons for a "no boot" or "no display" concern.

Note that there is a link to jsc's breadboarding guide at the end of the guide. If you don't find any plausible solutions from the checklist, try the breadboarding guide. If you have a case short, it will become apparent when you breadboard.

Good luck.


hi i followed steps from num 1 - 22 and done each check very thorough .both ATX an 12vlt atx plugged in ..i still have the mobo sitting on safe isolated area fully connected ..started with the ram in and out ,,gave continuous beeps ...changed slots ..same result ...checked seated prop ..thumbs up ...correct ram ,,,nothing hindering contact of cpu to mobo .....built in vid card ...no loose screws or wiring .......speakers working for beeps ...pwer working ...psu good ...cpu supported ... CMOS restarted .....
i am still getting single beep to start ..green led light ..then red flshing led ..then another single beep i can here the HHD kickin in ...fans running ..30 odd sec another beep ...but still no screen ....grrrr ...
..i read 1 single beep is system ready to boot ..
very confusing as it is only one beep .... :pt1cable: 
would i be get a single beep if the mobo an the cpu were reading ?
thanx john
a c 111 V Motherboard
January 28, 2011 10:00:55 PM

Yes. 1 single, short beep means a POST successful beep, but only if that is the only beep you hear. Two short beeps, albeit spread apart by a couple of seconds; however, is not indicative of successful POST.

According to your manual, two short beeps indicates a CMOS Setting Error. Also according to your manual, the default display device is from a PCI slot (not to be confused with PCI-E). There are three types of display that is supported by your mobo:

"Init Display First
Specifies the first initiation of the monitor display from the installed PCI graphics card,
PCI Express graphics card, or the onboard VGA.
PCI Slot Sets the PCI graphics card as the first display. (Default)
OnChipVGA Sets the onboard VGA as the first display.
PEG Sets PCI Express graphics card as the first display."

-copied from page 38 in your manual

And here is where it get's complicated...

"Internal Graphics Mode
Auto Outputs from the onboard VGA if no PCI Express VGA card is installed. Always
outputs from the PCI Express VGA card when a PCI Express VGA card is
installed. (Default)
Disabled Always disables the onboard VGA, whether or not a PCI Express card is
installed."

- Also taken from page 38 of your manual.

So, by looking at your manual, and your confirmation of the two short beeps, I would venture to say you've got a deffective mobo. However, I would strongly consider installing a PCI-E video card and retest, just to make sure.

Another long shot would be to perform both methods of clearing CMOS:

1. Turn off power and then unplug 24-pin P1 connector and the CPU power connector.
2. Gently, remove the CMOS battery (looks like the size of nickel) for about a minute, or so.
3. Reinsert battery. Try to power up again. If still no display, try method 2.

Method 2:

1. Disconnect P1 and CPU power connectors.
2. Use your manual to locate the CMOS jumper/pins.
3. Move the jumper so that the opposite pin is now being jumped with the center pin.
4. Keep the new position for about 10-20 seconds, then return jumper to its original position.
5. Try booting up again. If still no display, I would seek an RMA.
January 28, 2011 10:43:03 PM

T_T said:
Yes. 1 single, short beep means a POST successful beep, but only if that is the only beep you hear. Two short beeps, albeit spread apart by a couple of seconds; however, is not indicative of successful POST.

According to your manual, two short beeps indicates a CMOS Setting Error. Also according to your manual, the default display device is from a PCI slot (not to be confused with PCI-E). There are three types of display that is supported by your mobo:

"Init Display First
Specifies the first initiation of the monitor display from the installed PCI graphics card,
PCI Express graphics card, or the onboard VGA.
PCI Slot Sets the PCI graphics card as the first display. (Default)
OnChipVGA Sets the onboard VGA as the first display.
PEG Sets PCI Express graphics card as the first display."

-copied from page 38 in your manual

And here is where it get's complicated...

"Internal Graphics Mode
Auto Outputs from the onboard VGA if no PCI Express VGA card is installed. Always
outputs from the PCI Express VGA card when a PCI Express VGA card is
installed. (Default)
Disabled Always disables the onboard VGA, whether or not a PCI Express card is
installed."

- Also taken from page 38 of your manual.

So, by looking at your manual, and your confirmation of the two short beeps, I would venture to say you've got a deffective mobo. However, I would strongly consider installing a PCI-E video card and retest, just to make sure.

Another long shot would be to perform both methods of clearing CMOS:

1. Turn off power and then unplug 24-pin P1 connector and the CPU power connector.
2. Gently, remove the CMOS battery (looks like the size of nickel) for about a minute, or so.
3. Reinsert battery. Try to power up again. If still no display, try method 2.

Method 2:

1. Disconnect P1 and CPU power connectors.
2. Use your manual to locate the CMOS jumper/pins.
3. Move the jumper so that the opposite pin is now being jumped with the center pin.
4. Keep the new position for about 10-20 seconds, then return jumper to its original position.
5. Try booting up again. If still no display, I would seek an RMA.


Thanx T T i will try it both methods and get back to you ...the help is much appriceated ...
January 28, 2011 11:24:42 PM

T_T said:
Yes. 1 single, short beep means a POST successful beep, but only if that is the only beep you hear. Two short beeps, albeit spread apart by a couple of seconds; however, is not indicative of successful POST.

According to your manual, two short beeps indicates a CMOS Setting Error. Also according to your manual, the default display device is from a PCI slot (not to be confused with PCI-E). There are three types of display that is supported by your mobo:

"Init Display First
Specifies the first initiation of the monitor display from the installed PCI graphics card,
PCI Express graphics card, or the onboard VGA.
PCI Slot Sets the PCI graphics card as the first display. (Default)
OnChipVGA Sets the onboard VGA as the first display.
PEG Sets PCI Express graphics card as the first display."

-copied from page 38 in your manual

And here is where it get's complicated...

"Internal Graphics Mode
Auto Outputs from the onboard VGA if no PCI Express VGA card is installed. Always
outputs from the PCI Express VGA card when a PCI Express VGA card is
installed. (Default)
Disabled Always disables the onboard VGA, whether or not a PCI Express card is
installed."

- Also taken from page 38 of your manual.

So, by looking at your manual, and your confirmation of the two short beeps, I would venture to say you've got a deffective mobo. However, I would strongly consider installing a PCI-E video card and retest, just to make sure.

Another long shot would be to perform both methods of clearing CMOS:

1. Turn off power and then unplug 24-pin P1 connector and the CPU power connector.
2. Gently, remove the CMOS battery (looks like the size of nickel) for about a minute, or so.
3. Reinsert battery. Try to power up again. If still no display, try method 2.

Method 2:

1. Disconnect P1 and CPU power connectors.
2. Use your manual to locate the CMOS jumper/pins.
3. Move the jumper so that the opposite pin is now being jumped with the center pin.
4. Keep the new position for about 10-20 seconds, then return jumper to its original position.
5. Try booting up again. If still no display, I would seek an RMA.


Hi TT .. now its only beeping twice after trying that once on start up then 35 secs later then starts reading hard drive cause i can hear turnining over ......not sure what to do now ,, What does seeking RMA mean sorry for the inconvenience ....
a c 111 V Motherboard
January 28, 2011 11:52:07 PM

I suspect that you have a bad motherboard. RMA is an acronym for Return Merchandise Authorizaion, what you would ask for when excercising your warranty for your parts.
January 29, 2011 1:04:37 AM

T_T said:
I suspect that you have a bad motherboard. RMA is an acronym for Return Merchandise Authorizaion, what you would ask for when excercising your warranty for your parts.


Thanx TT i will and see what the outcome is an thanx for all the Help ...
a b V Motherboard
January 29, 2011 8:54:29 PM

T_T said:
Contrary to GeekApproved's post, you don't need to enable dual channel to get your display working. Also, the OS you have installed on the hdd is irrelevant. You can boot w/o a hard drive and still get a display. The only thing that would happen is an error message during POST; something to the effect of 'no boot device found'.

If you haven't done so already, please work through our standard troubleshooting guide, by following the link in my signature. This guide was designed to address the most common reasons for a "no boot" or "no display" concern.

Note that there is a link to jsc's breadboarding guide at the end of the guide. If you don't find any plausible solutions from the checklist, try the breadboarding guide. If you have a case short, it will become apparent when you breadboard.

Good luck.


Where did I say you needed to enable dual channel mode to get a display working???? I was simply telling him it's the wrong configuration. Hello?

I also never said you needed a OS or HDD to get a display....apparently you have an issue with reading comprehension??

I was trying to find out if he installed his new hardware and still had his old motherboards drivers on the hdd, that could cause booting issues.

Please think before putting words in other peoples mouths.
a b V Motherboard
January 29, 2011 8:55:27 PM

T_T said:
I suspect that you have a bad motherboard. RMA is an acronym for Return Merchandise Authorizaion, what you would ask for when excercising your warranty for your parts.


You are a smart one aren't you? LOL
January 29, 2011 11:04:48 PM

geekapproved said:
Where did I say you needed to enable dual channel mode to get a display working???? I was simply telling him it's the wrong configuration. Hello?

I also never said you needed a OS or HDD to get a display....apparently you have an issue with reading comprehension??

I was trying to find out if he installed his new hardware and still had his old motherboards drivers on the hdd, that could cause booting issues.

Please think before putting words in other peoples mouths.


Thanks Greek Approved but i am desparate an try anything bar sending it back unless a miracle happens ..thanx for the help ..
January 31, 2011 5:42:43 AM

a question was asked ... what if the motherboard and cpu was new ?
does it matter if a old HHD wasnt booting cause of older drivers ...
or do i need a HHD with the latest windows to boot up ??
thanx in advance ..
a b V Motherboard
January 31, 2011 11:35:22 AM

No you don't need the latest windows, but you can't take a hardrvive with drivers for old hardware and expect to boot up your new hardware. You don't have the correct drivers on the hdd for the motherboard to work properly, which is why you always format the hdd and do a fresh Windows install when replacing the motherboard.
January 31, 2011 11:53:45 AM

I could be wrong but it seems that the system reboot itself after recognizing an error. So it does a short beep after some time (about 40s in this case) when the system reboots.
a b V Motherboard
January 31, 2011 4:48:40 PM

What voltage do your memory sticks say on them? Whatever it says on the sticker, make sure you set it to that in the bios.

You can get into bios right?
a c 717 V Motherboard
January 31, 2011 5:10:16 PM

While I am not saying the MOBO is good or bad, just for giggles you might want to flash your BIOS. I realize the Athlon II X2 250 requires FH which is the first release, but I couldn't help but notice FI = "Improve CPU compatibility". Normally, this means 'newer' CPUs but sometimes it addresses other oddball older CPU issues.

Certainly, a corrupted HDD will also do a lot of bizarre starting problems or failures.

Q - Can you boot into the BIOS?
Q - Are you using the onboard GPU or a Discrete GPU?

If using a discrete GPU then pull it and try the onboard. Further, to rule-out some oddball short/ground: remove ALL MOBO mounting screws and PCIe screws and dangle the MOBO using a towel, pull ALL non-critical USB or other PCI cards, and use 1 stick of RAM. This is short of breadboarding.

In the end you might need to RAM the MOBO...

BIOS Supported CPU list "250's"
AMD Athlon II X2 250 3000MHz 1MBx2 N/A Regor 45nm C3 65W 4000 FH
AMD Athlon II X2 250 3000MHz 1MBx2 N/A Regor 45nm C2 65W 4000 FH
AMD Athlon II X2 250e 3000MHz 1MBx2 N/A Regor 45nm C3 45W 4000 FH
a c 111 V Motherboard
January 31, 2011 9:34:52 PM

GeekApproved,

If I have miscontrued your response, I apologize. I can see where my interpretation of your response may have been off. Now, if I may, I should point out that I never said that YOU said an hdd was needed. I stated that the OS installed on the HDD is irrelevant. Now who truly has the issue with reading comprehension? :o 



February 1, 2011 12:29:23 AM

geekapproved said:
What voltage do your memory sticks say on them? Whatever it says on the sticker, make sure you set it to that in the bios.

You can get into bios right?

no i cant get into bios lol lol but thanks all the same im trying everthing at the moment ...
February 1, 2011 12:34:05 AM

geekapproved said:
What voltage do your memory sticks say on them? Whatever it says on the sticker, make sure you set it to that in the bios.

You can get into bios right?


they say on them 1GB 1Rx8 PC2 6400 666

PC 800
February 1, 2011 12:35:13 AM

AlexanderBlack said:
I could be wrong but it seems that the system reboot itself after recognizing an error. So it does a short beep after some time (about 40s in this case) when the system reboots.

Thats correct ..
February 1, 2011 8:29:15 AM

If the HDD red led is flashing irregularly so it seems that there's first a video problem. So let's try to solve that first.
In my opinion you have to:

- Connect a PCI-Express video card if you have one. Some mobos enables automatically the PCI-E card when inserted. Then try to see if there's a post.
- Otherwise try with a normal PCI video card too, if you have one.
- Try with other monitors. It's rare but it could be an incompatibility problem.
- Try with another video output if the onboard video have one.

I read the posts fast, so sorry if anyone as said already that or i am wrong.
a b V Motherboard
February 1, 2011 11:57:42 AM

T_T said:
GeekApproved,

If I have miscontrued your response, I apologize. I can see where my interpretation of your response may have been off. Now, if I may, I should point out that I never said that YOU said an hdd was needed. I stated that the OS installed on the HDD is irrelevant. Now who truly has the issue with reading comprehension? :o 


I asked what OS he had and mentioned to him that he wasn't running his memory in the correct configuration.

Your response was:

Quote:
Contrary to GeekApproved's post, you don't need to enable dual channel to get your display working. Also, the OS you have installed on the hdd is irrelevant. You can boot w/o a hard drive and still get a display.


So you implied that I mean that him running in single channel mode was the problem or that he needed a hdd to boot.

Seems my reading comprehension is pretty dang good. If your going to call someone out, at least know what your calling them out on. Apology accepted.
!