Sign in with
Your question

Difference in performance with upgrade?

Last response: in CPUs
July 18, 2010 1:04:26 PM

I'm thinking of switching from a Dimension B110 computer with an Intel Celeron 325 (Prescott, 2.53 GHz) to a Dimension 2400 with a 2.66 GHz Pentium 4 (Northwood). Additionally, the 2400 has an Nvidia GeForce 4 MX 4000 (64 MB) graphics card instead of an integrated Intel 82865G (96 MB).

Assuming the performance of the memory and hard drive is the same, how much of a performance increase should I expect from this upgrade?
Anonymous
July 18, 2010 1:30:50 PM

I'll be blunt here: both of those processors and graphics cards are outdated and rubbish.
You should, however, expect some performance increase but I doubt it'll be more than a couple of percent.
a b à CPUs
July 18, 2010 1:51:13 PM

yddet12 said:
I'm thinking of switching from a Dimension B110 computer with an Intel Celeron 325 (Prescott, 2.53 GHz) to a Dimension 2400 with a 2.66 GHz Pentium 4 (Northwood). Additionally, the 2400 has an Nvidia GeForce 4 MX 4000 (64 MB) graphics card instead of an integrated Intel 82865G (96 MB).

Assuming the performance of the memory and hard drive is the same, how much of a performance increase should I expect from this upgrade?

Well, with todays software.... im doubtful you'll notice a difference between the 2 systems. Take it a few years back, then maybe there would be a bigger jump.

I have a P4 Prescott 2.8GHz HT cpu, a Geforce 6200 256MB, and with 2.5GB ddr1 ram and it starting to have trouble with the daily tasks due to it being old and software becoming more demanding.

As much as i like old systems to last a long time, the system your looking into will not last long and you'll need to upgrade again rather quickly. I'd say, save the money and get a more modern system that will last for long while.

If you dont use your computer for much stuff (just using it for stuff like interent, word, email, ect) I would recommend getting a computer with

AMD athlon II x2 cpu

2 to 4GB of ram

and if you need a graphic card a geforce 210 or 220 or radeon 54xx or 55xx.

That should only be about $300 to $400 for a prebuilt like you're looking into.

Hope this helps.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
July 18, 2010 1:57:34 PM

ummm, are u buying new, or 3 years used? sorry, but that is extremely outdated hardware, you likely wont see any performance boost at all. there are really good prebuilts for about 400$ if thats ur budget, they would have newer better hardware than what you are suggesting.
a b à CPUs
July 18, 2010 2:01:19 PM

3 years used, it was being used for the first 2 years before that :lol:  and really, when u can get a cheap fast-ish dual core for about 50 bucks on am3, single cores are DEAD.
July 18, 2010 2:05:38 PM

ares1214 said:
ummm, are u buying new, or 3 years used? sorry, but that is extremely outdated hardware, you likely wont see any performance boost at all. there are really good prebuilts for about 400$ if thats ur budget, they would have newer better hardware than what you are suggesting.

I'm not buying the Dell 2400. I got it for free, and figured since it was slightly faster, maybe I should "upgrade" from my B110.

Quote:
Both those computers are older than dirt. I've thrown out several pc's in the last year that were faster than that.

Seriously? What kinds of faster PCs have you thrown out? Do you have any more you're throwing out that I could have?
a b à CPUs
July 18, 2010 2:09:58 PM

well if you got it for free, which doesnt surprise me, then of course you should use it, technically its faster, but its like comparing a dead tortoise to a tortoise with no legs in a race, ur not gonna see much improvement, if any.
!