Sign in with
Your question

Seeking opinions & advice on these two pc plans

Last response: in Systems
May 12, 2010 6:19:14 AM

Hey everyone so im new to pc building and will be building my 1st at some point in time. i'm here to get your opinions and advice on which of the two building plans i picked out will better suit my needs(can only go with one). One using Intel chipset the other Amd.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Maybe next month hopefully

BUDGET RANGE: Been trying to keep it around 2k or so

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, trying Blender, and media uses

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Monitor going to be usng my 40" lcd tv and the os

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Been using Newegg

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

OVERCLOCKING: Yes

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Down the road maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

These parts are being used in both builds

Case: Silverstone FT02(have alot of great reviews and i want the case to last a long time)

Hdd: Samsung F3 500gb x2

Psu: Xfx black 850w

Cpu Cooler: Noctua NH-D14

Thermal Compound: MX-2

Drive: LG UH10LS20 Blu-ray Disc Combo(if anyone knows a better one for $100 tell tell)

Gpu: Galaxy's new 470(i picked this one over going 5850 mainly because of PhysX and CUDA)

These are for the Intel build

CPU: Core i7 930

MOTHERBORAD: ASUS P6X58D-E

RAM: G.SKILL 6gb Ripjaw DDR3

Heres the parts for the Amd build

CPU: Amd x6 1090T

MOTHERBOARD: MSI 890FXA-GD70

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I know that i cant go sli on the Amd board but isnt their workarounds for that, also does eveyone know the size of the fan on the Galaxy's 470 thinking maybe i could replace the fan with a better one

So what do you all think ?
May 12, 2010 7:01:39 AM

Welcome to the forum. I would not get a 470 with an AMD build. I have never heard of a "workaround" for this, and it probably wouldn't be the best idea anyways.

First, I understand your reasoning for the case, but imo that is altogether too much to pay for one.

Any reason for not just getting the 1TB F3 instead of two 500GBs?

Then for the HSF and TIM, how extreme of an overclock are you looking for? My problem with spending $100 dollars on cooling could be that that money could be redirected to getting a better CPU which would have the overclocked performance out of the box. I recommend just a Hyper 212+ with the TIM that comes with it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

As far as your actual builds go, I feel that both are overkill. I would get either a i5 750 or a X4 955. If you wish to stick the enthusiast builds then here are my recommendations.

Save a bit on the X58 mobo

Save a bit on the 890 mobo

Then, drop the 8GB for a 4GB set, you will see no benefit from the extra DIMMs.

See what you think, and ask any questions that you have.
May 12, 2010 7:05:17 AM

^ You have selected very good components for your build...
If gaming would be the priority and the other stuffs just to try out, then I would suggest the i7 as in gaming performance, it easily beats the AMD...but if you might move into pro 3D, video encoding, then the AMD looks attractive, but surely does not offer as good gaming performance as the i7 though...

And as for SLI support on the AMD chipsets, AFAIK there are not any workarounds...

With such a budget, why not include a SSD for OS and apps...you can drop 1 HDD IMO...

Love the case...but I prefer the windowed one...why not show off a little ?? Just $10 more, so price difference is negligible...

XFX Black PSUs are good no doubt, but for the same price(after rebates), I prefer the Corsair better...
Related resources
May 12, 2010 7:24:20 AM

^^Dint refresh before posting...

I like the Gigabyte UD3R, but off late, there are many people experiencing unstable/ dead boards...So choosing an another board might save some trouble later on...
But you should know about the ASUS board that it doesnt have any eSATA ports...

Yes it wont make sense going with a costly case like that one, but as a PC enthusiast, my dream would surely be to get a case like that and I surely will do if I had the money...So it depends on the person IMO...
If he had just chosen that case based on the reviews and not based on personal liking, then surely there are other very good alternatives far cheaper - less than half the price...
And the same goes for the CPU choice...For purely gaming and very occasional productivity tasks, an overclocked i5 750 would best suit...But if you want that extra bit of performance and are willing to pay the price, then the i7 is fine...
Also the CPU cooler, if you feel the extra bit of performance is worth it, then go with the Noctua...It depends on the overclock too...Upto ~3.8GHz, the CM Hyper 212+ performs very well for its price...but if you have planned for an extreme overclock - say 4GHz and above 24/7, then Noctua would be better...

So like jbakerlent said, giving it a second thought would be good...
May 12, 2010 7:25:24 AM

^ Agree, as usual. :) 

Hadn't heard about the issues with the UD3R, good to know!
May 12, 2010 11:10:35 AM

Wanna add...
1. Abandon i7 930 and X6 1090T...going with i750 or X4 955, and only 1 500GB HDD, then use the budget difference for an SSD is a very good idea.

2. Hadn't heard about issues with UD3R...good to know!

May 12, 2010 1:21:21 PM

^ Ya, I got the info from a member, who had a chat with a Gigabyte tech rep, who said that off late there had been issues with that UD3R board...
May 12, 2010 2:54:31 PM

Personally I would drop to the i5 750 or X4 955 like guanyu said. Unless you are heavily into other things, the extra performance from i7 is not worth the price.

May 13, 2010 4:00:31 AM

Well 1st of all thanks for the feedback everyone some really good stuff. Started making me think bout some things like the psu and the cooler

jbakerlent said:
Any reason for not just getting the 1TB F3 instead of two 500GBs? I was thinking of putting them in a raid 1 for backup.

Then for the HSF and TIM, how extreme of an overclock are you looking for? Maybe like 3.6-3.8 tho I might be spending alot of time on it learning blender.

My problem with spending $100 dollars on cooling could be that that money could be redirected to getting a better CPU which would have the overclocked performance out of the box. I recommend just a Hyper 212+ with the TIM that comes with it. That is a good cooler might go with it.

Now as for the case i do see what you all mean with going with one that $100 which would be saving around $140. The Cooler Master haf 922 with the 200mm fan would be good
May 13, 2010 4:07:21 AM

1) Ah
2) The Hyper should be able to handle that similarly to a more expensive cooler, but that is a decent overclock.
3) Yes the 922 or Antec 902 are both cases that I would recommend.
May 13, 2010 4:08:31 AM

^ Good changes IMO...that CM HAF 922 is a very good option...lots of space, very good airflow and very easy to work with...
And for 3.6-3.8GHz(which is the best clock speed for the i7 in terms of power consumption/ performance), that CM Hyper 212+ is very good...
Good Luck...
May 13, 2010 6:07:20 AM

thanks for the luck now what to do with that $140 :D 
May 13, 2010 9:30:19 AM

$140? save it for now and use that for an SSD next months perhaps :D 
May 17, 2010 1:43:22 AM

guanyu210379 said:
$140? save it for now and use that for an SSD next months perhaps :D 

or get that new Killers 2100 nic card :na:  lol j/k j/k

so for the Amd build really a no go
!