Upgrade to XP Pro?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
October 1, 2004 11:26:45 AM

I have a Compaq R3120US that came with XP Home. I already own the XP Pro
upgrade and would like to install it on the laptop. Compaq says I can't do
it because the drivers they provide are for XP Home only. Sounds like a
bunch of bunk to me. I think they just want me to buy from them. Is their
claim possible?

Thanks in advance... Bob

More about : upgrade pro

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 1, 2004 11:26:46 AM

"Bob Newman" <bobnewman@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> I have a Compaq R3120US that came with XP Home. I already own the XP Pro
> upgrade and would like to install it on the laptop. Compaq says I can't
do
> it because the drivers they provide are for XP Home only. Sounds like a
> bunch of bunk to me. I think they just want me to buy from them. Is
their
> claim possible?
>
> Thanks in advance... Bob

Bob:

Well, I would go their web site and look in the downloads/drivers section
for your computer. See if they list any drivers for XP pro. If not, well I
would bet you could install XP pro anyway, but you may lose some
functionality. A lot of vendors have special power control systems built in
to their BIOS that works with their computer management programs that
specialize in controlling their computers. Microshaft cannot include those
proprietary systems and drivers in their generic O/S.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 1, 2004 12:07:21 PM

>I have a Compaq R3120US that came with XP Home. I already own the XP Pro
>upgrade and would like to install it on the laptop. Compaq says I can't do
>it because the drivers they provide are for XP Home only. Sounds like a
>bunch of bunk to me. I think they just want me to buy from them. Is their
>claim possible?
>
>Thanks in advance... Bob

Their claim is a lie. Sony said the same thing about my VAIO from
2001. Pro went on it perfectly. I recently put Pro on an !BM 366MHz,
Dell 366MHz, and a Gateway 450Mhz, with zero problems.
a b D Laptop
October 1, 2004 1:11:01 PM

"Bob Newman" <bobnewman@worldnet.att.net> wrote in news:K9b7d.7236$pN6.3464
@fed1read06:

> I have a Compaq R3120US that came with XP Home. I already own the XP Pro
> upgrade and would like to install it on the laptop. Compaq says I can't
do
> it because the drivers they provide are for XP Home only. Sounds like a
> bunch of bunk to me. I think they just want me to buy from them. Is
their
> claim possible?
>
> Thanks in advance... Bob

In terms of drivers, there are absolutely no difference between XP Home and
XP Pro. The two major differences between XP Home and XP Pro are the
Remote Desktop and the ability for XP Pro to join a Windows domain on a
network. If XP Home works for you and you don't need those features, you
won't gain anything if you "upgrade" to XP Pro.

So, you don't have to worry about drivers. They are 100% identical and
that's why when you go to any manufacturer's web site, they only list
drivers for "Windows XP", not specifically "Windows XP Home" and "Windows
XP Pro".

For a list of features that are different between the XP Home and XP Pro,
please take a look at:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosi...

-lyj
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 1, 2004 3:04:23 PM

I'm looking to be able to control my home desktop while traveling with my
laptop, I understand you need Pro to do that.

Bob

> @fed1read06:
>
> > I have a Compaq R3120US that came with XP Home. I already own the XP
Pro
> > upgrade and would like to install it on the laptop. Compaq says I can't
> do
> > it because the drivers they provide are for XP Home only. Sounds like a
> > bunch of bunk to me. I think they just want me to buy from them. Is
> their
> > claim possible?
> >
> > Thanks in advance... Bob
> >

> In terms of drivers, there are absolutely no difference between XP Home
and
> XP Pro. The two major differences between XP Home and XP Pro are the
> Remote Desktop and the ability for XP Pro to join a Windows domain on a
> network. If XP Home works for you and you don't need those features, you
> won't gain anything if you "upgrade" to XP Pro.
>
> So, you don't have to worry about drivers. They are 100% identical and
> that's why when you go to any manufacturer's web site, they only list
> drivers for "Windows XP", not specifically "Windows XP Home" and "Windows
> XP Pro".
>
> For a list of features that are different between the XP Home and XP Pro,
> please take a look at:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosi...
>

> -lyj

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 1, 2004 3:46:47 PM

You only need Pro on the Desktop in this case, you can download software off
MS for the Laptop.

> I'm looking to be able to control my home desktop while traveling with my
> laptop, I understand you need Pro to do that.
>
> Bob
>
> "LastYJ" <yahoo@yahoo.yahoo> wrote in message
> > "Bob Newman" <bobnewman@worldnet.att.net> wrote in
> > @fed1read06:
> >
> > > I have a Compaq R3120US that came with XP Home. I already own the XP
> Pro
> > > upgrade and would like to install it on the laptop. Compaq says I
can't
> > do
> > > it because the drivers they provide are for XP Home only. Sounds like
> > > bunch of bunk to me. I think they just want me to buy from them. Is
> > their
> > > claim possible?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance... Bob
> > >

> > In terms of drivers, there are absolutely no difference between XP Home
> and
> > XP Pro. The two major differences between XP Home and XP Pro are the
> > Remote Desktop and the ability for XP Pro to join a Windows domain on a
> > network. If XP Home works for you and you don't need those features,
you
> > won't gain anything if you "upgrade" to XP Pro.
> >
> > So, you don't have to worry about drivers. They are 100% identical and
> > that's why when you go to any manufacturer's web site, they only list
> > drivers for "Windows XP", not specifically "Windows XP Home" and
"Windows
> > XP Pro".
> >
> > For a list of features that are different between the XP Home and XP
Pro,
> > please take a look at:
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosi...
> >

> > -lyj

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 1, 2004 9:24:40 PM

All I see at MSoft is this (referring to XP Pro)
"Remote Desktop Downloads
• Remote Desktop Connection Software

Download the client software for the Remote Desktop feature in Windows
XP Professional."

Bob

"John Poutre" <jfp14news@cox.net> wrote in message
> You only need Pro on the Desktop in this case, you can download software
off
> MS for the Laptop.
>
> "Bob Newman" <bobnewman@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > I'm looking to be able to control my home desktop while traveling with
my
> > laptop, I understand you need Pro to do that.
> >
> > Bob
> >
> > "LastYJ" <yahoo@yahoo.yahoo> wrote in message
> > > "Bob Newman" <bobnewman@worldnet.att.net> wrote in
> > > @fed1read06:

XP
> > Pro
> can't
> > > do
Is
> > > their

> > > In terms of drivers, there are absolutely no difference between XP
> > and
> > > XP Pro. The two major differences between XP Home and XP Pro are the
> > > Remote Desktop and the ability for XP Pro to join a Windows domain on
> > > network. If XP Home works for you and you don't need those features,
> you
> > > won't gain anything if you "upgrade" to XP Pro.
> > >
> > > So, you don't have to worry about drivers. They are 100% identical
and
> > > that's why when you go to any manufacturer's web site, they only list
> > > drivers for "Windows XP", not specifically "Windows XP Home" and
> "Windows
> > > XP Pro".
> > >
> > > For a list of features that are different between the XP Home and XP
> Pro,
> > > please take a look at:
> > >
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosi...
> > >

> > > -lyj

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 2, 2004 10:12:53 PM

Basically, the claim is bunk. I've never seen an XP driver that was
Home/Pro specific.

Bob Newman wrote:

> I have a Compaq R3120US that came with XP Home. I already own the XP Pro
> upgrade and would like to install it on the laptop. Compaq says I can't do
> it because the drivers they provide are for XP Home only. Sounds like a
> bunch of bunk to me. I think they just want me to buy from them. Is their
> claim possible?
>
> Thanks in advance... Bob

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 2, 2004 10:17:11 PM

If someone is available at home, you can use "Remote Assistance" to do
it in XP Home. But it won't work if the computer at home is unattended.

"Remote Assistance" (which is present in both home and pro) and "Remote
Desktop" (Pro only) are almost identical except for the "front end" that
starts them up.

Bob Newman wrote:

> I'm looking to be able to control my home desktop while traveling with my
> laptop, I understand you need Pro to do that.
>
> Bob
>
> "LastYJ" <yahoo@yahoo.yahoo> wrote in message
>
>>"Bob Newman" <bobnewman@worldnet.att.net> wrote in

>>@fed1read06:
>>

>>>I have a Compaq R3120US that came with XP Home. I already own the XP
>
> Pro
>
>>>upgrade and would like to install it on the laptop. Compaq says I can't
>>
>>do
>>
>>>it because the drivers they provide are for XP Home only. Sounds like a
>>>bunch of bunk to me. I think they just want me to buy from them. Is
>>
>>their
>>
>>>claim possible?
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance... Bob
>>>

>>In terms of drivers, there are absolutely no difference between XP Home
>
> and
>
>>XP Pro. The two major differences between XP Home and XP Pro are the
>>Remote Desktop and the ability for XP Pro to join a Windows domain on a
>>network. If XP Home works for you and you don't need those features, you
>>won't gain anything if you "upgrade" to XP Pro.
>>
>>So, you don't have to worry about drivers. They are 100% identical and
>>that's why when you go to any manufacturer's web site, they only list
>>drivers for "Windows XP", not specifically "Windows XP Home" and "Windows
>>XP Pro".
>>
>>For a list of features that are different between the XP Home and XP Pro,
>>please take a look at:
>>
>>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosi...
>>

>>-lyj

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 7, 2004 6:12:33 AM

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 10:11:01 -0400, LastYJ wrote
(in article <Xns9575680EAE353carsx886012Spam@38.119.100.146>):

> In terms of drivers, there are absolutely no difference between XP Home and
> XP Pro. The two major differences between XP Home and XP Pro are the
> Remote Desktop and the ability for XP Pro to join a Windows domain on a
> network. If XP Home works for you and you don't need those features, you
> won't gain anything if you "upgrade" to XP Pro.

Don't forget that XP Home also does not include a web-server (IIS).
This can be handy if you are a developer or a student in an IT/IS/CompSci
program.
December 17, 2004 12:47:24 PM

I have a digital camera that works with XP Home but not Pro. It looks
like there should be no difference but there obviously is.

Jay

!