Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can i install a second hard drive from 32 bit computer into a windows 7 computer

Last response: in Storage
June 26, 2012 11:28:24 AM

I recently bought a new Dell XPS8500/windows 7 computer. My previous computer was also a Dell, xps with windows xp. With the old computer, I had added a second SATA hard drive, for use in my photo editing software (Adobe photoshop CS2). I would like to reformat that drive, and install in on my new xps computer, but was sure if the drive being from a 32 bit system, would work okay on the new 64 bit system. I don't think I have the installation cd that came with the drive, and was hoping I could just "plug'n play" more less.

Thanks
Carl

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
a c 523 G Storage
June 26, 2012 11:42:15 AM

cncwilcox said:
and was hoping I could just "plug'n play" more less.

Yes, you can.

After you add the drive to your new system Windows will assign it a drive letter. All you have to do then is go into Windows Explorer, right-click on the drive letter, select "Format...", and Quick Format the drive.
a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
June 26, 2012 11:42:40 AM

The simple answer to that is going to be yes you sure can.
m
l
Related resources
June 26, 2012 11:45:44 AM

It doesn't matter. If you were thinking like RAM, where 32bit systems can't access more than 4GB, don't worry.
If your motherboard's controller is compatible, with the size of the HDD you are fine.
And if its not a hard disk with some ridiculous volume like 3TB then you are fine on almost any motherboard. (as long as you want to use a SATA HDD on a SATA motherboard ;)  or a PATA on a PATA motherboard)
m
l
June 26, 2012 12:14:47 PM

WARNING: BE SURE YOU HAVE UNPLUGGED ANY COMPUTER BEFORE YOU WILL BE ADDING/REMOVING PARTS TO/FROM!

Can you install that old drive into your new computer? If so, don't worry about formatting it just yet. Simply take out that old drive and place it in the new computer. I recommend you naming it before doing so, so it's easily recognized once installed in the new computer.

Once that old drive has been installed into your new computer and you see it listed after you have logged into Windows, you can simply format the drive then. This may help you. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Format... Also, there are plenty of programs out there that you can use to format your drive with, if you feel the desire to do so. I'll leave that to you to search for them.

Remember, give your additional drive(s) a name to help you easily identify them in Windows Explorer.

Hope this helps you. Good luck and let us know how things turned out.

m
l
a b G Storage
June 26, 2012 12:56:44 PM

If your old drive has your photo files you could just delete everything else on it instead of formatting. Then you'll have your files handy. Make sure you enable view hidden and system files before you delete stuff.
m
l
June 27, 2012 12:26:41 PM

cncwilcox said:
I recently bought a new Dell XPS8500/windows 7 computer. My previous computer was also a Dell, xps with windows xp. With the old computer, I had added a second SATA hard drive, for use in my photo editing software (Adobe photoshop CS2). I would like to reformat that drive, and install in on my new xps computer, but was sure if the drive being from a 32 bit system, would work okay on the new 64 bit system. I don't think I have the installation cd that came with the drive, and was hoping I could just "plug'n play" more less.

Thanks
Carl

Thanks to everyone that replied! I had no problems adding the 2nd internal drive from my old pc to the new. Everything is working great. Thanks again! :) 
m
l
July 8, 2012 1:54:32 PM

Best answer selected by cncwilcox.
m
l
!