CPU for multiple Virtual PC's on Win 7 platform?

JoeSchmuck

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
I typically run two Virtual PCs on my Windoze 7 computer and things get failrly slow at times. I am looking to run up to 4 Virtual PCs at a time, one would be doing video processing so it's a CPU hog, the others would be running network type services or when I do a litle programming, and other non-CPU hog activities. I don't play video games but if I were to, I wouldn't run the Virtual PCs if required.

So, I know I need a better CPU to handle what I am doing and I don't know which type of CPU would offer the best performance in a Virtual PC world. I'm not opposed to using WMWare Server however Virtual PC is all I really need. I actually am looking at VirtualBox but think I will test it on a spare laptop I have, just to check out it's interface and usability. I don't expect fast for this laptop.

So, my current machine is:
MB: ASUS P5K Pro
CPU: E8500 3.16GHz (running at stock speed)
RAM: 4GB DDR2-1066 (I can double that if need be but in the past it showed no benefit to my useage so I pulled it and saving it for the next electrical storm)
HD: Corsair 128GB SSD (P128) (w/56GB free)
Video: Radeon HD 4670

So, I'd like to understand which model/family of CPU would do better for running Virtual Machines under Windows 7 OS. I don't want to go buy an entire new computer, I can handle replacing the CPU, MB, and RAM (almost a new computer) but I don't want to drop money on an iCore i7, not unless they have it on sale for $200.00. I am a huge AMD fan, but this was my first Intel computer, so I'm not opposed to the AMD line of products.

Any suggestions would be appreciated,
-Joe

rohn_avni

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010

JoeSchmuck

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
I think that sounds like a good plan and I like the Q9550 option myself.

Now for argument sake, strickly speaking to the CPU... I understand the Q9550 is a quad core without hyperthreading. I'm just curious if the i7-920 with hyperthreading is a better choice. The i7-920 has a slower clock rate and a much smaller L2 cache, but it's on a 32nm die, has Speed Boost, direct memory interface, etc... I just haven't seen any comparisons of the two products with respects to VM use.

Thanks,
Joe

loneninja

Distinguished
Phenom II X6 or I7 would be best because you have more cores/threads that way, but even a Core2Quad will help out a lot over your Core2Duo. I would also recommend more than 4Gb of ram, I'm not sure how much you lettings your VMs use, but I can't get by running more than 3 VM's on my machine with 4Gb ram and Vista.

JoeSchmuck

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
I now have my E8500 OC'd at 3.72GHz with the CPU voltage bumpped up .02 volts for stability. I could get to 4.0GHz but I don't like the CPU voltage running at 1.3 volts. I'll look into more OC'ing info, maybe I can do a little fine tuning and get up to 4.2GHz just for fun.

As for the RAM, I would need to install my other RAM I have on the side (all matching) to bump the RAM up to 8GB. I had a problem with the MB, it started eating RAM sticks, ASUS found a few bad regulators and fix it for free. The RAM was RMA'd, so I've been hesitant to add more RAM. It should work fine.

I hadn't thought of the Phenom II X6, think I'll take a look at that. For some reason I was just looking at the i7.

As for what I want to run... 4 VMs, two at 512MB and two at 1GB. Right now I can run three of the four on current RAM but it does slow the system down. I could technically run all four however system speed is terrible. With a full 8GB I could do much better. I really need the 512MB VMs since they are portable.

Thanks for the comments and depending on what I can OC to, I just might go for a new system.