Memory issue

nictracy

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2011
Hi i have a asus P5N-d MB and i cant get it to post with any ram in slots 3 or 4. I was just wondering if this was a bad MB or a bad setting. The board just came back from an rma cause it would only start up for 2 seconds then shut right off they have seemed to fix this problem but like i said now my pc only boots with ram in slot 1 and 2!

Solution
Looks like a RAM compatibility issue. Pull out one stick from slot 1 and record the specs. - then make sure that you install identical RAM in slots 3 and 4.

(If you transfer the RAM from slots 1 & 2 over to slots 3 & 4, and you experience the same problems as earlier, then your slots 3 & 4 are bad).
Looks like a RAM compatibility issue. Pull out one stick from slot 1 and record the specs. - then make sure that you install identical RAM in slots 3 and 4.

(If you transfer the RAM from slots 1 & 2 over to slots 3 & 4, and you experience the same problems as earlier, then your slots 3 & 4 are bad).

Solution
You are correct! RMA the board along with a sheet listing all these things that you did to troubleshoot. Hope you get a better board the next time. Sometimes the replacement boards are refurbished boards; and sometimes not even that; they will ship you someone else's returned board without any refurbishment.

TRENDING THREADS