Ssd's in Raid; is my performance what it should be?

f1zz1e

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
Hello there,
Today my Kingston HyperX 3k 120Gb Ssd's arrived in the mail.
I have an Asus Sabertooth 990fx Motherboard.
After installing the ssd's i set them up in raid 0.
I installed the drivers and then windows. using the As SSD benchmarch tool i got these results:
7X6Lt.png

Are these results to be expected? or have I messed something up?

americanbrian

Distinguished
Hmmmm,

it looks like you are hitting some of the performance indicators but others are looking a bit squishy.

check this in depth review here: http://www.bjorn3d.com/2012/04/2x-kingston-hyperx-240gb-3k-ssds-in-raid-0-configuration/#.T-mizXJqnZ8

Your 4K is better than average, your seq and 4K 64Thrd is low and access is right where you would expect it.

It could be that your MOBO controller is reaching its max... but not too sure. Also firmware should be checked if you have the latest version.

Larger SSD's tend to be a bit quicker, so I am not sure if this is the cause for your lower than expected seq and 4K-64 scores.

f1zz1e

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011

Done, here are the results
AtcCG.jpg

americanbrian

Distinguished
Actually I think someone has solved this exact problem,... It is the RAID controller. You must connect one of your drives to a different port...

see here for port diagram:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1129060/solved-amd-sb950-raid-0-poor-performance-solved

The ports were incorrectly labeled in MOBO docs, so you are probably connecting ports 1&3 when you want them to be 1&2.... It should help get you closer to the Intel based systems, offering some significant improvement.

f1zz1e

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011

Aha! I have them connected like this
[-ssd1-][--][--] [--]
[-ssd2-][--][--] [--]
So it should be connected like this?
[-1-][-2-][--] [--]
[--][--][--] [--]
Sorry if this diagram ^^ sucks.

The motherboard being used in that link is a Asus Crosshair V ROG, not a Sabertooth 990FX. Your drives should be connected to ports SATA6G_1 & SATA6G_2.

See page 2-2 of your motherboard manual for the location of the ports.

You can try connecting your drives to other ports, and retesting but your speeds look good.

f1zz1e

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
Ok well I connected in the way specified above, almost no change, only significant change was 4K-64Thrd Read in as SSD(An improvement, now showing 280.55MB/s). In ATTO things were identical.

cirdecus

Distinguished
I honestly haven't seen many onboard RAID controllers that make it past 600MB/s.. If you're looking for some crazy 1GB/s and greater speeds, I'd highly recommend an x8 or x16 PCI-e RAID card.

I bought a rocketraid x16 card that got my 8x Intel x25-M SSD's up to 1600MB/s and it worked amazingly.

americanbrian

Distinguished
OK sorry I know it seems I am spamming the thread, but try enabling RAID 5 in the BIOS options.

see page two of the forums here....http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/M4-64GB-RAID0-on-990FX-performance-issue/td-p/59800/page/2

f1zz1e

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
Im stumped. In the 990fx uefi bios i have the sata setup to be in RAID, When the pc boots up, it says; press Ctrl + F to enter raid setup. I tried to change it to Raid 5 but it says that i need 3 drives?