Sign in with
Your question

Hardcoding Memory Timings?

Last response: in Memory
January 28, 2011 12:26:14 PM

Hello,

I was recently told to try "Hardcoding my memory timings" into my motherboard BIOS as this could stop the lock-ups I have been having (I ran Memtest86 with all slots full and it showed errors, while each stick by itself ran 2 passes each with no errors).

I was wondering what exactly this means? I am running a ASUS Rampage 3 Extreme motherboard with G Skill Trident Memory (9-9-9-24 DDR3 2000)

If anyone can help me with a walkthrough I would greatly appreciate it, as I have googled this and came up with nothing.

Thanks in advance!
a b V Motherboard
January 28, 2011 1:02:52 PM

Sorry, I can't do a walkthrough, but I can give you a hint.
The suggestion means to boot into the BIOS, find the memory settings, turn on manual configuration of timings, and set timings other than the default ones.

First, I would run CPU-Z or some other utility to find out what speed and timings the memory is actually running at. Post your results, so that we know what your baseline is.

The first change that I would try is lowering the speed, certainly if you are running it at 1600 (which the board is probably not). The idea is that, be relaxing (making bigger) the timings or reducing the speed, you are more tolerant of problems with the memory. Also, many boards will run 6 sticks at a lower speed than 3 sticks.

Kudos for doing the memtest first and validating the sticks. May I suggest running three-stick tests, also?

PS - your link goes to a search page with many different memories and none called Trident?
January 28, 2011 1:09:46 PM

Thanks for the reply. I will do a memtest with three sticks tonight. It seems Newegg deactived the memory so that is why it is not showing up - I have removed the link.

I will post CPU-Z pictures tonight. I did notice that it showed the memory as running at DDR3 1335 with 6 sticks in on the Memtest screen - which makes sense from what you mentioned.
a b V Motherboard
January 28, 2011 2:33:43 PM

A really out-there suggestion:

When a drive has issues, the denizens here often suggest trying it in another system. Do you have a spare system you could swap memory with and test? If the problem moves with the memory, RMA the memory. If the problem stays with the mobo, RMA the mobo.

I might also suggest dropping a query to ASUS support. If they know about the problem, they can provide info. If they don't, they will send you useless suggestions like go out and buy six sticks of some other memory that's on their Qualified Vendor List and try that.
!