CM690 Want to paint it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rza

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
Hola amigos!

I have a CoolerMaster 690 (basic) case that I would like to paint, maybe today, and just need to be pointed in the right direction.

What kind of paint?

Do I need to use a primer paint?

Do I need to use some sort of sealer?

And any thing else you'all would like to pass along.

Also, I was thinking about cutting my own window into the side panel, is there anything I should be considering before I start cutting?

Like I said, if you could just point me in the right direction it would be great.

Solution
Paint away...
Remember prep is the key, completely disassemble the case and take care of any bumps or scratches first.
Thin layers is better than one thick coat. Lightly sand after the coat dries using 1200-1800 grit paper to take care of any runs. use 3000 grit paper on the final layer then a polish followed a thin coat of automotive wax for a fantastic shine. Final coat can be a clearcoat if you want a car-like finsih. You'll be surprised what you can do with a can of spraypaint.
I don't recommend painting any case. The results will leave you with a case you can't sell. I would sell it on craigslist and order a new one when they are on sale. Frys sometimes gives away cases after rebate when they clear out their inventory.

rza

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
I never said anything about selling the case...

Why not paint it? you have to look at the damn thing everyday. Don't you want it to stand out from everyone elses?

O look at me and my stock CM690 with the blue light...piff...lemming.

The nicer cases have baked on paint for a harder finish. It's going to be difficult for you to duplicate the results of a factory finish. I often find some funky off color cases that are closed out for half their original price. I would also check your local goodwill store or craigslist for a cheap case to practice on if your case is still in good shape.

popatim

Titan
Paint away...
Remember prep is the key, completely disassemble the case and take care of any bumps or scratches first.
Thin layers is better than one thick coat. Lightly sand after the coat dries using 1200-1800 grit paper to take care of any runs. use 3000 grit paper on the final layer then a polish followed a thin coat of automotive wax for a fantastic shine. Final coat can be a clearcoat if you want a car-like finsih. You'll be surprised what you can do with a can of spraypaint.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.