Sign in with
Your question

BSOD, memtest86+ errors

Last response: in Systems
May 12, 2010 9:06:32 AM

I just built a new computer myself, it was my first build. It has been having problems booting into windows but only the first time, other times it boots into it fine. I've just been putting the computer to sleep to avoid this problem.

The Specs are:
i5 750
Asus P7P55D-E motherboard
G.Skill 1600 Memory
Powercolour HD5850

I ran memtest and got thousands of errors, so i got the memory replaced. That didn't help at all, so i got the motherboard replaced, again this didn't help.

My dad and the IT guy at his work had a look at it and both concluded it would probably be the Graphics card, so I borrowed the IT guys card to test it and still no result. It actually got worse and now to get it not to blue screen i have to remove a stick of RAM after the first one and reboot.

I am almost out of ideas, the next thing I will try is to get another hard drive and try out XP with it (I've got 7 install atm).

There are absolutely no problems aside from this, it plays games excellently and doesn't crash any other times.

If anyone has any ideas please tell me.

More about : bsod memtest86 errors

May 12, 2010 4:57:15 PM

what are you using to power the rig? how big is your PSU, and what brand is it?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 12, 2010 5:00:40 PM

Which exact G.Skill 1600MHz RAM kit do you have? It's important to manually set the RAM speed, timings, and voltage to their rated specs in the BIOS if you want a stable system.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
May 13, 2010 1:16:04 AM

As said we are going to need more specifics but the two possible problems are psu and memory, bad/and or wrong timings.

Now what made the IT guy think it was a video card problem?
m
l
May 13, 2010 6:58:15 AM

The PSU is a 750 watt Seasonic Gold

The Memory is CAS9 and i've checked all the timings and even tried lowering the frequency and giving it 1.6V to see if that made a difference.

I'm not sure what made the IT guy think it was the video card. Maybe he thought the memory on it was faulty or something.

Could the Power supply be faulty? From the reviews I read about it, it was one of the best most reviewers had ever had.
m
l
May 13, 2010 8:06:14 AM

You replaced the RAM and the motherboard but that did not fix the problem.
That probably means those two components were not the causes of the initial problems.

Your BIOS settings is the main suspect.

m
l
!