Sign in with
Your question

Asus p8p67 cant boot windows cd

Last response: in Motherboards
January 28, 2011 1:06:31 PM

Hi, my new asus p8p67-m doesnt boot cd-rom. I cant install windows.

I have two ssd connected in sata1 and sata2 and cd-rom in sata3.

when starting system I get no hard disks found, it recognizes the drives in bios but when launching through boot I get: Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key.

And nothing happens when I do that.

Please help.
a b V Motherboard
January 28, 2011 1:10:36 PM

Your boot order in the BIOS is set to boot from the CD/DVD first, then HD second?
a b V Motherboard
January 28, 2011 1:10:59 PM

I haven't used one of these boards, but I have seen an issue that sounds like this on the forums before.

Did you set your SATA controller to AHCI mode? For some (not many) motherboards, you have to change it back to IDE mode for the one port that the DVD drive is on.

Worth trying, but I'd bet against it being the correct solution. Have you tried that DVD drive and that DVD on another machine, to validate that they are both good?
Related resources
January 28, 2011 1:37:54 PM

Thanks for replying!

Yes its set to cd/dvd first then hdd.

I have tried all the modes IDE,AHCI and RAID.. no success.

I remeber I Had a similar problem with gigabyte but then I plugged in older cd drive in IDE slot and it worked, but this board doesnt have thiat slot .

Any more suggestions?
a b V Motherboard
January 28, 2011 1:43:05 PM

Those are the major things... Maybe remove one SSD and try just with two SATA devices. ?? Or ONLY connect the DVD drive and see if you can boot from it.
January 28, 2011 1:59:18 PM

Nope doesnt boot even if cd drive is single in sata slots. Its sounds like the disk turns then stop then turns and stops like that in loop
Ive checked the cdrom on other system and its working fine.
January 28, 2011 4:33:43 PM

this is so frustrating.. I tried installing windows on intel ssd on amd system, all fine but when I put it back in intel system I get BSOD.

still cant boot from cd-rom damnit!
January 29, 2011 6:35:06 PM

I'm having the same problems just using normal sata drives. I cannot install ANY version of Windows on ANY Sata drive I put in my system -- I've tried installing: Vista x86; x86 w/sp1, x86 w/sp2; x64; x64 w/sp1; x64 w/sp2; Win7 x86 and Win7 x64 -- nothing has even completed the extracting files phase.

I have gotten so many errors I don't know where to start. On some copies of Vista I can format the disks but then it tells me the reinitilizer has failed and it stops. Other copies of Vista and Win 7 have both said they can't format the disks or can't create partitions; or, if I don't get one of those errors then it wants a dvd-driver that it doesn't need and doesn't exist. Granted, I normally don't get that far trying Win 7 as it reports an I/O error while loading the files to run the installer and quits (even with only the dvd-r and one drive attached to the whole board). Oh, and to add insult to injury, 75% of the time the usb mouse goes dead, so I changed it to a ps2.

It's the same no matter how many drives are attached, what port or controller they are connected to, and what mode I have the controllers in. All the hard drives work in other machines and show up, even in raid sets (tried that too) within the installers. I've formatted the drives on another machine to make sure they were formatted and initialized properly. I've tried three different brands of dvd drives. I've also tried every set of bios updates too.

I have no idea what the problem could be or what to do outside of returning he board and hoping it's just a bad one. I build systems all the time and have NEVER seen anything like this. If anyone has any clue what I could be doing wrong or something I have missed, please let me know.

Now I know why every one of my home systems is based off an EVGA board--and the board's constant cold rebooting, failed overclocks (when I never set any), and flashing osrom screens 47 times per boot are not helping things either....

May 5, 2011 6:40:55 AM

Did you ever get this fixed? I'm having the same problem. I just built mine today
May 5, 2011 12:52:29 PM

No, I never did. I had one of the early boards which got returned for store credit due to the chipset snafu and I'm waiting until the z68 boards come out (Sunday, from what I hear) to replace it.
May 7, 2011 11:02:23 PM

I just fixed the problem. I was using an old dvdrw so I went to Fry's electronics and bought an ASUS brand dvdrw OEM drive (thought the asus mobo would love the asus dvdrw).

I booted up the computer and WHAM! I was right, asus p8p67 mobo loves its own flavor dvdrw and it booted up windows 7 like a charm.

May 25, 2011 8:35:16 AM

tacloban said:
I just fixed the problem. I was using an old dvdrw so I went to Fry's electronics and bought an ASUS brand dvdrw OEM drive (thought the asus mobo would love the asus dvdrw).

I booted up the computer and WHAM! I was right, asus p8p67 mobo loves its own flavor dvdrw and it booted up windows 7 like a charm.

Can I ask you: is it internal SATA DVD or external USB? Could you specify the model, please. I have exactly the same issue.
September 6, 2011 12:10:20 AM

I started a thread for my problem which looks similar to this except my dvd drive works fine and I can start the installing windows. My problem is that when I turn on the computer it states no disks detected (hard drive). When I looked into bios I see both listed but not sure why it isn't detecting the hard drive. Windows stops installing and gives a warning that something is wrong with hard drive.

natwoods
!